Frank Makes 22 Saves but SHU Falls at Delaware, 7-6

Frank Makes 22 Saves but SHU Falls at Delaware, 7-6

April 8, 2009

Final Stats

NEWARK, Del. -- The University of Delaware used a pair of fourth quarter goals to erase a two-goal Sacred Heart lead and send the Pioneers to their third-straight loss Wednesday night, 7-6, in Colonial Athletic Association action. For the second time this season, sophomore goalkeeper Zack Frank eclipsed 20 saves in a game, turning away 22 Blue Hen shots in the loss.

The Fightin' Blue Hens (4-8, 1-2 CAA) picked-up their first league win of the year thanks to a pair of freshmen in Grant Kaleikau and Justin Martinelli who each scored in the fourth to put the up for good while goalkeeper Noah Fossner made four of his eight saves over the final 15 minutes of action. Sacred Heart (3-8, 1-3 CAA) got two goals each from Bobby Rushton and Dan Casciano and three assists from Evan Morgan.

Delaware posted commanding advantages in shots (46-20), groundballs (41-25), and faceoffs (14-3), but Sacred Heart scored three man-up goals in a game that featured five ties. After trailing 5-4 in the third, the Pioneers took a 6-5 lead into the final quarter thanks to Casciano and Timmy Katz goals. The Hens rallied as Kaleikau scored his second goal of the night just 2:29 into the final stanza and Martinelli scored his first career goal just two minutes later for what proved to be the game-winner.

The Hens clinched the win when junior midfielder D.J. Widlake intercepted an errant crossing pass by Casciano just before the final horn. Sacred Heart had gained possession with 1:21 left but a shot by Tim Russo was saved by Fossner with 50 seconds remaining. The Pioneers recovered the ball after a UD turnover and called a timeout with 13 seconds left. Jon Flood's shot with five seconds was high and Sacred Heart kept possession but could never get another shot off.

The Pioneers took control in the second quarter by scoring three straight goals as Dennis Gannon scored with 13:32 left and Rushton scored twice in a span of five minutes. The Hens cut the SHU lead to 4-3 at the half on a goal by Dickson into an unattended net with just 12 seconds left before halftime. Delaware went back up 5-4 midway through the third quarter on goals by John Austin and Dickson, but Sacred Heart came back to take the lead again as Casciano tied the score at 5-5 on a goal with 5:51 left in the stanza and gained a 6-5 advantage thanks to a man-up goal by Timmy Katz with just seven seconds left in the quarter.

SHU returns to the field on Saturday afternoon when they head to Quinnipiac to take on the Bobcats.