SHU Pioneers Lose in Overtime, 6-5, to Manhattan

SHU Pioneers Lose in Overtime, 6-5, to Manhattan

March 4, 2006

Final Stats

FAIRFIELD, CT (March 4, 2006) - The Manhattan men's lacrosse team erased a three goal fourth quarter deficit to force overtime and Greg Lewis notched the game-winner with 1:21 left to lift the Jaspers to a 6-5 win over Sacred Heart Saturday afternoon in Fairfield, Connecticut. The Pioneers led 5-2 with just under 14 minutes to go when Manhattan began their comeback as they improve to 2-1 on the year. SHU falls to 0-2 with the loss.

The Jaspers dominated the first quarter but couldn't get on the scoreboard. Manhattan out shot SHU 11-4 over the first 15 minutes but failed to convert on three man-up opportunities. The Pioneers, who struggled clearing the ball and had nine turnovers, mad the most of their four shots, as senior Kiel Adams (Rome, NY) buried a feed from junior Peter Greco (Hamburg, NY) with 1:50 on the clock. SHU struck again with 14 seconds left on an unassisted Tony Tanzi (Mahopac, NY) goal.

Manhattan's Kyle Serbay got the Jasper's on the board with 11 minutes left in the second, scoring off a feed from Brian Murray, converting man-up. SHU answered at 8:41, also man-up, as senior Matthew Robideau (Massena, NY) finished off a Greco feed. The Jaspers got the final score of the half, with Mark Labelle scoring unassisted to but the SHU lead to 3-2 at the break.

Both teams wadded their way through the third quarter, neither able to gain the upper hand. SHU's Billy Fuchs (Merrick, NY) scored off a feed from Adam Dzedzy (Glenmoore, PA) with 1:14 left to give the Pioneers some momentum heading into the fourth quarter with a 4-2 lead.

SHU tacked another one on another just 1:06 into the fourth as Greco buried his fourth goal of the season on a feed from Tanzi to put the Pioneers up 5-2. From there the SHU attack went cold and the Jaspers began to mount their comeback. Brian Murray scored his sixth of the season at 7:15 and then Christian Schaefers cut it to one, 5-4, at the four minute mark, scoring a man-up goal on the Pioneers 10th penalty.

Angelo Marrano made the comeback complete with three minutes to go, scoring unassisted to knot the game at 5-5. Both teams had offensive opportunities in the final minutes but neither could convert and the game moved into extra time. SHU got a great opportunity just 15 seconds into overtime when Manhattan's Greg Lewis was whistled for a pushing penalty. The Pioneers managed just one shot on the man-up offense as Fuch's was denied by Justin Henry.

The Pioneers would never get the ball back offensively. Manhattan miss fired on a pair of shots before Murray made a perfect pass to a cutting Lewis who buried the ball in the back of the net with 1:21 on the clock for the 6-5 win.

Greco finished with three points for Sacred Heart on a goal and three assists. Tanzi had a goal and an assist. Pioneer goalie Thomas Hind (Farmingdale, NY) played stellar in goal, making 14 saves.

Manhattan, who out shot SHU 46-30, got a goal and three assists from Murray. Henry need make 13 saves in the cage to earn the win for the Jaspers.

The Pioneers are back in action next week when they travel to Colorado for a pair of games. SHU will be at Air Force on Friday, March 10th and then at #15 ranked Denver on Sunday, March 12th.