Furman – 0-3
SHU – 2-1
The Turning Point
SHU led 8-5 early in the third quarter when Furman scored four unanswered goals to take a 9-8 lead with 8:11 to go in the third quarter. A Joe Saggese goal sparked a 6-0 Pioneers run, with a Nick Albanese goal putting SHU ahead 14-9 with 13:14 to play in the fourth quarter.
- Cop scored a pair of goals late in the quarter to give SHU a 5-2 lead.
- Saggese and Logan Liljeberg scored in the first 5:16 of the quarter to put the Pioneers ahead 7-2.
- Furman got a pair of goals from David Williamson and a tally from Jarrett Birch to make the score 7-5 before halftime.
- SHU goalie Brooks Dutton made eight saves in the quarter.
- Furman's four unanswered goals came from four different goalscorers. Williamson, William Holcomb, Chad Kreuzer, and Gus Pinsoneault put the Paladins ahead 9-8 with 8:11 to play.
- SHU responded with five straight goals to close the quarter with a 13-9 lead. Tuttle scored twice, as Saggese, Cop, and Jake Giaquinto also found the back of the net.
- The Pioneers outshot Furman 17-8 in the quarter.
- Nick Albanese scored 1:56 into the quarter to give SHU a 14-9 lead and cap a 6-0 Pioneers run.
- Tuttle and Kramer scored back-to-back goals to put the Pioneers ahead 16-11 with 6:42 to go.
Key Stats and Notes
- Tuttle and Cop each had four goals and two assists.
- Saggese, Kramer, and Lilljeberg each had three points on the day. Saggese had a hat trick, while Kramer had two goals and an assist. Liljeberg added a goal and two assists.
- Giaquinto was 14-for-23 on faceoffs.
- Dutton made 17 saves in goal for SHU.
SHU hosts Dartmouth in its home opener at Campus Field on Saturday, Feb. 24 at 4 p.m.