Pioneers Pick-Up Another Close Win; Top Hartford 10-9

Pioneers Pick-Up Another Close Win; Top Hartford 10-9

Fairfield, Conn. (March 21, 2012) - Sacred Heart sophomore goalie Ryan Hughes (Bayport, NY) turned in 13 saves, non bigger than his last with eight seconds to play to preserve a 10-9 win over the University of Hartford Wednesday afternoon on Campus Field.  Four different Pioneers scored multiple goals to lead SHU to their third win in their last four games, raising their record to 3-4 on the year.  The Hawks fall to 2-6. 

Hartford struck first just three minutes into the game, scoring man-down just three minutes in.  Take Klidonas broke free in transition and buried his fourth of the season for an early 1-0 lead.  From there, the Pioneer defense put the clamps on, not allowing another Hawk goal until just before the half.

Sacred Heart's Chris Casey (Duxbury, Mass.) got the SHU offense started with an unassisted goal to the bottom shelf at 5:19.  Matt Ferrino (Orchard Park, N.Y.) followed it up with another goal 45 seconds later on the man-up opportunity. Casey capped off the first quarter with his second goal of the game to give the Pioneers 3-1 lead heading into the second quarter.

The Pioneers made it 4-1 as senior Aaron Lupo (Schenectady, NY) buried a feed from Shane Foley (South Brunswick, NJ) at 1:32.  The Hawks ended their scoring drought with 41 seconds left in the quarter as Aiden Genik notched his first of two goals to send his team to the locker room trailing 4-2.

Both teams battled their way through an even third quarter, each scoring three times in the frame.  SHU's Mike Mawdlsey (Innisfil, Ont.) and Cody Marquis (Londonberry, NH) scored their first of two goals sandwiched around Lupo's second. 

The Hawks twice cut the Pioneer lead to just a goal in the fourth quarter with Ryan Compitello scored twice in the quarter for Hartford.  SHU's Tim Sanders scored to open the quarter, his first of the year, to extend the lead to 8-5 just 33 seconds in.  The Hawks went back-to-back at 12:31 and 11:09, a Kevin O'Shea man-up goal, to pull within 8-7. 

SHU's Mawdsley and Marquis extended the lead back to three, 10-7, with goals at 8:17 and 3:45.  Hartford's Compitello netted two goals in the final three minutes to cut Sacred Heart's lead back to only one.  Compitello followed Marquis at 3:28 and then scored again at 1:31 to give his team a chance to tie.

Hartford got the ball back with 48 seconds left and set up for the chance to tie.  Hughes turned away a Jared Franze shot with eight seconds left and the Hawks couldn't get off another as the Pioneers came-away with their third win on the year. 

Hughes' 13 saves continued his streak of double-digit saves. For the fourth time this season, the sophomore had posted ten or more saves.

The Pioneers take the field again on Saturday at 7:00 p.m. against St. John's under the bright lights of Campus Field.