Sacred Heart downed by Quinnipiac, 5-3

Sacred Heart downed by Quinnipiac, 5-3

Feb. 26, 2005

Box Score

MILFORD, CT (February 26) - The Quinnipiac Bobcats (17-12-3, 14-6-2 AHA) used three second period goals to hold off the late charging Sacred Heart Pioneers (13-18-1, 13-8-1 AHA) by a final of 5-3 in Atlantic Hockey action at the Milford Ice Pavilion on Saturday evening.

Just as Friday night, the Bobcats would strike first in the opening period. Quinnipiac's Reid Cashman sent a one-timer top shelf past SHU's Kevin LaPointe (Quebec City, QC) on the power play to go on top 1-0 with just 5:51 left in the stanza.

Quinnipiac doubled their lead to 2-0 early in the second period on Cashman's second goal of the game at 6:09 of the second. Sacred Heart would use a five-on-three power play to slice the Bobcat lead back to 2-1 on Bernie Chmiel's (Pittsburgh, PA) slap shot from the blue line. Garrett Larson (Rycroft, AB) and Pierre-Luc O'Brien picked up helpers on the goal.

The Pioneers would be unable to capitalize on any momentum from the power play goal, and Quinnipiac wasted little time in re-establishing the two-goal cushion. Matt Froehlich scored the first of his two goals at the 11:48 mark to put Quinnipiac up 3-1. A Ben Nelson four-on-four goal at 12:34 would move the Bobcats up 4-1 and forced the Pioneers to call a time out to regroup.

The Bobcats would hold the three-goal advantage until late in the third period, where they would open the door for a Sacred Heart comeback, taking a pair of penalties just 24 seconds apart. It would be O'Brien's turn to score on the five-on-three, sending a one-timer past Quinnipiac net minder Jamie Holden's blocker to get SHU to within two. Then seconds after the power play expired Chmiel would notch his second of the game, chipping a Chris Connerty (Rayham, MA) feed over Holden to bring the Pioneers back to within a goal.

Sacred Heart was given another power play opportunity late, but a penalty to Larson wiped out the advantage. The Bobcats would make sure that SHU's dream comeback would not happen, sealing the game with an empty net goal by Froehlich with just 32 seconds remaining.

LaPointe ended the game with 19 saves in taking the loss, while Holden stopped 28 to pick up the victory.

The Pioneers return to action next weekend as they head up to Erie, PA to close out the regular season with two games at Mercyhurst.

Pioneers Shocked By AIC, 4-1
February 19, 2005 Pioneers Shocked By AIC, 4-1
Pioneers clipped by Minutemen
December 12, 2004 Pioneers clipped by Minutemen
Pioneers clipped by Colonials
November 27, 2004 Pioneers clipped by Colonials
Pioneers Tame Bobcats
November 24, 2004 Pioneers Tame Bobcats
Buckeyes Trump Pioneers
November 5, 2004 Buckeyes Trump Pioneers
Hrapchak re-sign's with Thunder
September 13, 2004 Hrapchak re-sign's with Thunder