Sacred Heart Sweeps UConn With 3-2 Win Saturday Night

Sacred Heart Sweeps UConn With 3-2 Win Saturday Night

Jan. 30, 2010

Box Score

Storrs, CT - The Sacred Heart men's ice hockey team got a third period goal from David Berube (Quebec City, QC) as the Pioneers defeated the Huskies 3-2 Saturday night. Nick Johnson (Windsor, CT) added to his nation leading total with his 21st goal of 2009-10. Freshman Steven Legatto (Kelowna, BC) made 24 saves, including several on odd man rushes, to earn the victory.

Sacred Heart (13-9-4, 11-6-3 AHA) got on the board first as last night's overtime hero Erik Boisvert (Drummondville, QC) netted the opening goal on a SHU power play. Dave Jarman (Toronto, ON) earned his team leading 27th assist on the season while Johnson got the secondary assist. The Pioneers nearly made it a 2-0 edge midway through the frame. Gregg Rodriguez (Sunnyvale, CA) threw a shot on net from the point that was deflected just wide in front by Anthony Yelovich (Little Falls, NJ). The deflection found the stick of Boisvert in the circle but the forward missed his second goal of the net just wide. Connecticut (4-20-3, 4-14-3 AHA) evened the score on a one timer by Justin Hernandez with the centering feed coming from Jeff Sapieha.

Despite being on the penalty kill the Pioneers nearly took a 2-1 lead early in the second period. Eric Delong (Oakville, MB) and Matt Gordon (Lynnfield, MA) found themselves on a two-on-one rush with Delong firing a shot that UConn goaltender Garrett Bartus stopped with a glove. The rebound found Gordon but the Huskies goaltender came up big for the second time on the rush. Sacred Heart would eventually earn the 2-1 advantage as Johnson scored a highlight reel goal with 1:09 remaining in the frame. The senior forward was hooked to the ice on a delayed penalty but managed to flip a shot on goal and notch his nation leading 21st goal of the season. T

he Huskies had a golden opportunity to bring the game level five minutes into the final period as Daniel Naurato was sprung on a short-handed break away. The sophomore winger was robbed by a sharp glove save from Legatto. Legatto would later get called for an interference penalty that allowed UConn to tie the game on a goal from Sean Ambrosie.

The Pioneers would regain a one goal edge at 3-2 on a goal from David Berube (Quebec City, QC) moments after a SHU power play expired. Berube found the puck on his stick in the left circle and made a nice move into the slot before finishing his 10th goal of the year with a backhand. Legatto would come up huge for SHU as he flashed the glove again to turn away Matt Pedemonti who was on the door step after a three-on-two rush.

Connecticut had several chances to send the game into overtime with the extra attacker on the ice in the final minute of regulation. But Hernandez's shot from the point rang off the crossbar and no Husky could knock in the rebound that sat dangerously in the crease.

The win extends the Pioneer unbeaten streak to 12 straight games dating back to December. Sacred Heart meets first place RIT in a weekend series at the Milford Ice Pavilion starting Friday night at 7:05 pm.