Men's Ice Hockey Falls To Union 4-3 In Overtime

Men's Ice Hockey Falls To Union 4-3 In Overtime

Jan. 23, 2004

Final Stats

SCHENECTADY, NY (January 23, 2004) - The Sacred Heart University men's ice hockey team played in their third straight overtime game and once again were unable to come out with a win as they fell to Union 4-3. Jordan Webb (Nepean, ON) scored the game winner at 2:58 of the overtime period to give the Dutchmen a hard fought win.

The Pioneers held a 3-2 lead with less than a minute to go in regulation, but were unable to hang on when Union pulled their goaltender for the extra attacker.

Sacred Heart nearly took the lead at the 7:12 mark of the first period as the Union goaltender Tim Roth (Teaneck, NJ) was caught wandering out of the net, but Chuck Metcalfe (Edmonton, AB) missed on the open net attempt.

The Pioneers drew the first penalty of the game with just over two-minutes remaining in the opening period and Union took advantage of the man advantage when Jordan Webb (Nepean, ON) scored his fourth goal of the season at 18:07. Assisting on the power play goal were Matt Vagvolgyi (Milford, CT) and Brian Kerr (Kirkland, QC).

The Dutchmen took a 2-0 lead midway through the second period when Joel Beal (Brantford, ON) stole the puck in the offensive zone and beat Pioneers goaltender Kevin LaPointe (Quebec, QC) over his glove hand. Ben McManama (Medfield, MA) assised on the goal at 9:06 of the second period.

Sacred Heart quickly answered when Marc-Andre Fournier scored his team leading 10th goal of the season off a face-off in the Union zone at 11:09 of the middle frame. Metcalfe won the face-off and was credited with the lone assist on the goal.

Peter Giatrelis nearly tied the game a couple minutes later as he tipped a shot in front of the net, but Roth was in perfect position and made the save.

The Dutchmen then generated a chance of their own when McManama put a shot on net that nearly eluded LaPointe, but he was able to swipe the puck out of harms way.

The Pioneers drew even when Noel Henck (Long Beach, NY) scored the first goal of his collegiate career at 4:15 of the third period from Bernie Chmiel (Pittsburgh, PA) and Rocco Molinaro (Dearborn, MI).

The team traded scoring chances as they both tried to take the lead.

Andrew Billinghurst (Fort Collins, CO) was broken up by Roth on a near breakaway attempt and Metcalfe was stopped on a tip attempt in front of the Union net. The Dutchmen came right back down the ice and got off three quality shots, but LaPointe stood tall and kept the puck out of the net.

Sacred Heart took the lead with just under two minutes remaining in the third period when Molinaro carried to puck into the Union zone and gave the Pioneers their first lead of the game.

That lead didn't last long as Union pulled their goaltender and with 0:16 remaining in the period tied the game on Vagvolgyi's fourth goal of the season and sent the game into overtime.

In the extra period the Pioneers once again came up short as Webb scored the game-winning goal with 2:02 remaining in the period, with assists to Beal and McManama.

Union out shot Sacred Heart 32-22 in the game.

The Pioneers will return to action tomorrow night when they travel to Rensselaer for a 7:00 pm game in Troy, NY.

March 16, 2004 RIDE THE RED WAVE