FAIRFIELD, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team are pleased to welcome in eight newcomers to play for the Pioneers in the upcoming 2019-20 season. The team concluded the 2018-19 with one of the programs best seasons falling just short of advancing to the the Atlantic Hockey Semi-finals as they fell to RIT two games to one.
Luke Lush – Goalie| 6-2/194 lbs. | Sherwood Park, Alberta/ Drayton Valley Thunder (AJHL)
- Lush is the first Pioneer on the current roster to have played in the AJHL.
- Tallied a GAA of 2.52 in 2018-19 and recorded a goalie record of 22-13-5 in the 41 regular season games played.
- In his lone season with Drayton, he added up a save percentage of .922 and tallied 1184 saves.
Coach Marrotolo on Lush: "Luke is a good sized goalie who is very good at handling the puck, acting like a 3rd defenseman at times. His compete is very noticeable when you watch him play. Hes coming off a very good season where he was goaltender of the year in the Alberta Junior Hockey League. We expect Luke to come in and compete for the net."
Deniel Petrick – Defense | 5-9/199 lbs. | Wilbraham, MA./Madison Capitols (USHL)
- In his one season with the Capitols, Petrick recorded six points on four goals and two assists
- He skated in 62 contests for the Austin Bruins (NAHL) in 2017-18, picking up 20 points from the blue line.
- On that Bruins team, he tallied the second highest amount of points among defensemen in the 2017-18 season.
Coach Marrotolo on Petrick: "Danny is a smart defenseman who is a junior hockey veteran. He has played tons of hockey in 2 very good leagues, USHL and NAHL. He keeps the game simple, and makes a great 1st breakout pass. He can also contribute offensively as he's had great experience on the PP while in junior and high school hockey."
Jeppe Urup – Defense | 6-2/176 lbs. | Odense, Denmark. / Youngstown Phantoms (USHL)
- A Blueliner from Denmark who appeared in 23 games for the Youngstown Phantoms over the past year.
- In his one season with the Phantoms he compiled one goal with five assists for six points.
- In the team's playoff run he aided the Phantoms withe assists for two points.
Coach Marrotolo on Urup: "Jeppe is a good sized Dman whos a very strong skater. Hes coming to SHU with a very impressive resume including representing his country, Denmark, on the world stage at 2 straight World Junior Championships. He had a strong season in the USHL and was counted on to play big minutes. We expect Jeppe to be able to step in and help our Defense core immediately."
Patrick Dawson – Defense | 6-0/190 lbs. | Medway MA./ Odessa Jackalopes (NAHL)
- In his time with the Jackalopes he tallied four goals on eight assists for 12 points in 46 games he played.
- Split his time with the Lone Star Brahmas and Odessa Jackalopes in 2018-19.
Coach Marrotolo on Dawson: "Patrick will add some physicality and toughness to our blue line. He is a big kid who defends well. Hes tough to play against and has a good defensive stick. Patrick will be returning to Connecticut, after a strong season in Odessa, TX in North American Hockey League. In Connecticut, he stared in prep School at Westminster School."
Kevin Lombardi – Forward | 6-0/234 lbs. | Schwenksville, Pa. / Sioux City Musketeers (USHL)
- Appeared in 58 games putting up 14 points on six goals and eight assists.
- Joins former Musketeer Marcel Godbout on the ice this season.
- In 2017-18 he played for the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders where he played in 53 games tallied six goals on five assists for 11 points.
Coach Marrotolo on Lombardi: "Kevin is a big body whos very good at protecting the puck. He is great at possessing the puck down below the goal line and can be counted on to chip in offensively. Hes coming off a strong season in United State Hockey League and we expect him to be able to step right in and help our hockey team."
Derek Contessa – Center | 6-0/206 lbs. | Freehold, N.J./ Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)
- Played a total of 62 games with Fighting Saints in 2018-19.
- He ended the year with the Fighting Saints, recording 11 goals, and nine assists for 20 points including one goal in the playoffs.
- Had a breakout year with the Shreveport Mudbugs of the NAHL in 2017-18, recording 21 points on four goals and 17 assists in just 40 games.
- While with Shreveport was part of the championship team that won the Robertson Cup.
Coach Marrotolo on Contessa: "Derek is a big body who is coming off a good season in the USHL. Hes a right shot forward who has a good shot. Derek should be able to step right in and contribute to our hockey team all over the ice."
Tim Clifton - Center | 5-10/165 lbs. | Farmingdale, N.J./ Shreveport Mudbugs (NAHL)
- Traded over from the Chicago Steel (NAHL) in 2018-19 to the Shreveport Mudbugs
- Played 32 games recording 20 points on nine goals and 11 assists with a plus 11 rating.
- Tallied two goals and one assist for three points in the NAHL playoffs for the Mudbugs.
Coach Marrotolo on Clifton: "Tim is a 200 foot center man, hes been a leader on many of the teams hes been on. Hes very reliable defensively and is hard to play against. Hes a tough and strong player who should add great depth to our lineup."
Braeden Tuck– Forward | 6-0/183 lbs. | Calgary, Alberta / Trail Smoke Eaters (BCHL)
- Played for three seasons with the Trail Smoke Eaters of the BCHL and captained in the 2018-19 season.
- In his career with the Trail Smoke Eaters he played in a total of 164 games netting 39 goals on 69 assists for a total of 108 points
- Played in a total of 38 playoff games collecting 11 goals, on 16 assists for 27 points.
Coach Marrotolo on Tuck: " Braeden is a leader, he was captain of the Trail Smokeaters in the British Columbia Hockey League. He can play center or wing and had a strong season for Trail. Braeden has good size, great hockey sense and can be counted on in all situations. We expect Braeden to be a guy that can help in all situations for our hockey team, having great experience on PP and PK from junior hockey."