The Sacred Heart University men's hockey team had its 2018-19 season come to an end Friday night, falling 3-1 to RIT in the quarterfinals of the Atlantic Hockey Tournament. The victory gave the Tigers, 17-16-4, a 2-1 series win and a berth in the AHA semifinals. The Pioneers end the year at 16-17-4.
The teams were tied late in the third period when a Pioneer clearing pass was intercepted. Alden Dupuis found Jake Hamacher who knocked home the go-ahead, and game-winning tally, with 2:31 to play. Hamacher would provide an insurance goal, scoring an empty-netter with 20 seconds left, to secure the win.
- The Pioneers struck early for the second time in the series, as Jason Cotton netted a shot 2:14 into the game
- The SHU defense was solid throughout, allowing just five shots on goal in the period, all of which were stopped by Brett Magnus
- Logan Drackett made 10 saves in the opening period
- Neither team was whistled for a penalty in the opening 20 minutes of action
- RIT drew even at the 5:40 mark of the period, playing with an extra skater, when Erik Brown, stationed at the top of the crease, deflected a shot into the back of the net
- It was the first penalty of the game for either team
- Drackett made 13 saves in the second period
- The teams were scoreless for most of the period, with both teams having six shots through the first 16 minutes of the period
- RIT withstood back-to-back penalties in the middle portion of the period; without allowing a goal
By the Numbers
- Magnus made 18 saves in his final game as a Pioneer, playing 59:00 in net
- Drackett stopped 31 shots to earn the win for the Tigers
- SHU finished with a 32-21 advantage in shots on the afternoon