BRIDGEPORT, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team (14-14-3, 13-10-0 AHA) picked up two points in the Atlantic Hockey standings after defeating Army West Point 5-0 tonight. The Pioneers will look for the two game sweep of the Black Knights tomorrow at Army for a 7:05 p.m. puck-drop.
- The Pioneers would outshoot the Black Knights in the first period 8-5 as the Pioneers would be able to take an early lead in the first.
- Freshman Todd Goehring would bank in the first goal of the night off a pair of assists by fellow freshman Nick Boyagian and Ryan Steele at 3:24 in the period to put the Pioneers ahead 1-0.
- A little more than midway through the first period senior goalie Brett Magnus would make a remarkable save to prevent Army from scoring its first goal of the game and to preserve the shutout for the fifth time he has been behind the net.
- The second period would be all about the Pioneers as they would rack up a total of four goals in the period.
- SHU would acutally be outshot by the the Black Knights 11-6 in the period put in goals the Pioneers would continue to hold the Black Knights to zero.
- The first goal in the second period would come off the stick of senior Stephen Hladin as he would tally his first goal of the season at 2:14 in the period off an assist by Mike Lee.
- Hladin would again score for the Pioneers soon after this time at 6:58 in the period off a pair of assists by fellow senior Mike Crocock and redshirt junior Jason Cotton to put the Pioneers ahead 3-0.
- Just three minutes later at 9:18 freshman Nick Boyagian would rip a goal pasted the Army netminder off a pair of assists by senior Liam Clare and Cotton as well to put the Pioneers ahead 4-0.
- The final goal of the game would be scored by Cotton coming at 9:50 in the period while SHU was on the power-play off a pair of assists by junior Austin Mcllmurray and senior Mike Lee to give the Pioneers the 5-0 edge.
- The third period would remain scoreless due to the strong goaltending of senior Brett Magnus as he picked up his third win of the season and picked up the Pioneers fourteenth overall victory while jumping the Pioneers the fourth in the Atlantic Hockey Association standings.
- While Army outshot the Pioneers 25-19 in the game, the percise shooting of SHU aided in the 5-0 victory over the Black Knights as they look to sweep the series tomorrow at 7:05 p.m.