FAIRFIELD, Conn. - The Sacred Heart University men's basketball team wrapped up its home slate Saturday with a 74-69 loss to the Mount St. Mary's Mountaineers on Senior Day at Coach Bike Court at the Pitt Center.
Mount St. Mary's - 16-13, 10-6 NEC
SHU - 9-20, 4-12 NEC
The Turning Point
Trailing 40-33 with 19:05 to play in the game, SHU went on an 11-3 run to take a 44-42 lead. Sean Hoehn, Kinnon LaRose, and Mario Matasovic each made a three during that stretch. Mount St. Mary's responded with a 10-0 run over the next 3:27 to take a 52-44 lead with 11:30 to play. SHU got as close as three points twice in the second half, but the Mountaineers' free throws down the stretch sealed the win.
- A 7-2 SHU run, highlighted by a LaRose three, put the Pioneers ahead 13-9 with 13:06 to play.
- Mount St. Mary's came back with 17-2 run over the next 6:30 to take 26-15 lead. The Mountaineers were 7-for-8 from the field during that stretch, holding SHU to 1-for-9 and four turnovers. Junior Robinson had eight of the 17 points for Mount St. Mary's.
- SHU scored seven of the last eight points in the half in cut the deficit to seven, 37-30.
- LaRose had 11 points and seven rebounds in the half.
- SHU's first three field goals in the first half were all threes, putting the Pioneers in front 44-42 with 14:57 left. The Pioneers outscored Mount St. Mary's 14-5 to start the second half.
- Two threes by Greg Alexander highlighted the Mountaineers' 10-0 run that put Mount St. Mary's up 52-44 with 11:30 to play.
- SHU got back within three, 59-56, with 4:58 to go on a LaRose layup.
- The Pioneers shot 41.2% from the field in the second half, but was 4-for-16 from the three-point line.
Key Stats and Notes
- LaRose and Matasovic each had double-doubles on Saturday. LaRose had a team-high 21 points with 10 rebounds. Matasovic had 16 points and 11 rebounds.
- Sean Hoehn also scored 16 points with a game-high five assists.
- SHU outrebounded Mount St. Mary's 48-26.
SHU travels to Bryant on Thursday, Feb. 22 for a 7 p.m. game.