FAIRFIELD, Conn. - Freshman guard Alex Watson tied a career high with 15 points as the Sacred Heart men's basketball team lost 69-60 to the LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds Thursday night at Coach Bike Court at the Pitt Center for Pack The Pitt.
LIU Brooklyn - 11-13, 6-5 NEC
Sacred Heart - 7-17, 2-9 NEC
The Turning Point
LIU Brooklyn led 34-27 at halftime, with SHU closing the gap to six with 17:55 to go when a Sean Hoehn three made the score 38-32. A Joel Hernandez triple sparked a 15-5 Blackbirds run that gave LIU Brooklyn its largest lead of the game, 53-37, at the 12:22 mark. Hernandez scored 11 of the 15 points during that stretch. The Pioneers answered back with a 17-3 run over the next 5:03. Led by eight points from Watson, SHU closed the gap to two, 56-54, with 7:14 to play. However, the Blackbirds had one more run in them. Hernandez and Raiquan Clark combined to score 10 unanswered points to give LIU Brooklyn a 66-54 lead with 4:59 to go.
- SHU opened the game with a 9-4 run, with a Barnett layup putting the Pioneers up by five at the 13:44 mark.
- Six different Pioneers scored SHU's first 13 points, as Sean Hoehn's steal and score with 11:19 to play gave SHU a 13-8 lead.
- LIU came back with a 16-2 run over 4:32 to take 24-15 lead. Zach Coleman and Jashaun Agosto scored 10 of the 16 points as the Blackbirds made six out of seven shots from the field, including four straight three-pointers.
- SHU responded with an 8-2 run of its own to cut the deficit to three, 26-23, with 3:31 to play. Barnett capped the spurt with back-to-back baskets. He finished the half with a team-high eight points.
- The Pioneers shot 44.8% from the field in the first half, but was only 1-for-7 from the three-point line.
- LIU went up by 11, 38-27, with 19:03 to go when Agosto put down a dunk off of a Julian Batts steal.
- A Hernandez three at the 17:29 mark sparked a 15-5 LIU run over 5:33 to take a 53-37 lead. Hernandez had 11 of the 15 points as SHU was just 2-for-5 from the field with four turnovers over that stretch.
- SHU was 5-for-7 from the field and 6-for-7 at the foul line during its 17-3 run to get within two points of LIU. Watson had eight of the 17 points, including a three-pointer and a three-point play.
- LIU Brooklyn outscored SHU 13-6 in the final seven minutes.
Key Stats and Notes
- Watson last scored 15 points on Dec. 22 at Providence. He was 5-for-7 from the field Thursday night and made all three of his free throws.
- Joseph Lopez had a game-high 11 rebounds, adding nine points. It was Lopez's fourth double-digit rebound game in the last five.
- Hernandez led all scorers with 30 points.
- SHU shot 42.9% from the field, as LIU Brooklyn shot 40.3%.
- The Blackbirds scored 26 points off 18 Pioneers turnovers.
SHU hosts in-state rival Central Connecticut on Saturday, Feb. 3 at 3:30 p.m. in the second game of an Alumni Day doubleheader with the women's basketball team.