PITTSBURGH, Pa. – The Sacred Heart men's basketball team led the Robert Morris Colonials by four points with 9:24 to play Friday night at PPG Paints Arena, but a late Colonials run gave Robert Morris a 64-56 win.
Sacred Heart – 7-15, 2-7 NEC
Robert Morris – 13-9, 7-2 NEC
The Turning Point
The Pioneers erased a seven-point deficit with 4:20 remaining in the first half with a 10-1 run to take a 26-24 lead with 1:12 to play. Three-pointers by Kinnon LaRose and Mario Matasovic were bookended by layups from Joseph Lopez and Alex Watson. Robert Morris tied the game before halftime on a Leondre Washington layup.
Robert Morris led 35-31 with 15:36 to play in the game when a Sean Hoehn three-point play sparked a quick 7-3 run that tied the game at 38-38 at the 13:37 mark. After back-to-back baskets by the Colonials, SHU went on an 8-0 run over 3:48 to take a 46-42 lead with 9:24 to go. Robert Morris then went on the charge, outscoring the Pioneers 19-2 over the next 7:17, scoring 15 unanswered points to take a 61-48 lead with 2:07 to play.
- Kinnon LaRose scored SHU's first five points, with his three-point play at the 18:02 mark giving the Pioneers a 5-3 lead.
- Dachon Burke's layup with 4:20 to go put the Colonials ahead 23-16, their largest lead of the half.
- SHU responded with a 10-1 run over the next 3:08 to take a 26-24 lead. LaRose and Matasovic each made a three in that stretch, as the Pioneers held Robert Morris to 0-for-1 from the field with two turnovers.
- Each team had 18 rebounds and eight turnovers in the first half.
- LaRose and Watson each had eight points to lead SHU in the half. Watson, who had not scored in his last five appearances, had eight points against St. Francis Brooklyn on Dec. 29.
- Hoehn scored 11 of the Pioneers' first 14 points in the second half after not scoring in the first half. Matasovic had the other three points on free throws.
- SHU held Robert Morris to 0-for-5 from the field with two turnovers during its 8-0 run to go up 46-42.
- The Pioneers were 8-for-9 at the foul line in the second half. Hoehn was a perfect 5-for-5.
Key Stats And Notes
- Hoehn led all scorers with 17 points, all of which came in the second half. He also had four assists.
- LaRose and Watson each had 10 points. Watson's 10 accounted for all the SHU bench points Friday night.
- Robert Morris shot 43.6% from the field, while SHU shot 40.4%.
- Burke led the Colonials with 17 points. Washington added 11 points.
The Pioneers close the Western Pennsylvania swing on Sunday, Jan. 28 with a 2 p.m. game at Saint Francis U.