FAIRFIELD, Conn. – The Sacred Heart men's basketball team came back from a seven-point deficit in the second half to tie the Saint Francis U Red Flash 55-55 with 8:25 to go. However, the Red Flash closed the game on an 18-5 run to win 73-60 Saturday afternoon at the Pitt Center.
Saint Francis U – 11-8, 5-3 NEC
Sacred Heart – 7-14, 2-6 NEC
The Turning Point
SHU battled back from a seven-point deficit with 13:48 to play to tie the game 55-55 with 8:25 remaining. An Andre Wolford three-pointer started a 9-0 Saint Francis U run that put the Red Flash ahead 64-55 with 5:41 to play. After a pair of Joseph Lopez free throws got SHU within seven, 64-57, with 5:32 to go, the Red Flash scored nine of the last 12 points in the game to win 73-60.
- SHU jumped out to a 10-4 lead, with a Sean Hoehn three-pointer putting the Pioneers up by six with 17:19 to go.
- Saint Francis U responded with an 11-0 run over the next 4:05 to take a 15-10 lead. Jamaal King scored the first six points of the run.
- A pair of Keith Braxton free throws capped a Red Flash 7-0 run that gave Saint Francis U its largest lead of the half, eight points, 28-20 with 6:24 remaining.
- Hoehn's second three of the half started an 11-4 run for SHU that got the Pioneers within one, 32-31, with 0:25 left.
- Back-to-back baskets by Joseph Lopez tied the game at 37-37 with 15:27 to go. The Red Flash then scored seven unanswered points, five of which were scored by Braxton, to take a 44-37 lead.
- A 7-2 SHU run over 1:32 tied the game 53-53 with 9:12 to go. E.J. Anosike started the run with a three-point play.
- With the game tied 55-55 with 8:25 to play, Saint Francis U closed the game on an 18-5 to win 73-60. SHU was 1-for-6 from the field during that stretch and turned the ball over four times.
Key Stats and Notes
- Joseph Lopez had his second straight double-double with 10 points and 14 rebounds. He had 18 points and 10 boards Thursday night against Robert Morris.
- Saint Francis U shot 50% from the field in the second half and 47.2% for the game. SHU shot 40% from the field for the game. The Red Flash made 19 free throws to SHU's seven.
- King led all scorers with 21 points. Braxton added 15 points and nine rebounds.
SHU travels to Pittsburgh to face Robert Morris on Friday, Jan. 26 at 7 p.m.