FAIRFIELD, Conn. - The Sacred Heart men's basketball team moved to 2-5 in the Northeast Conference Thursday night after a 74-60 loss to the Robert Morris Colonials aat Coach Bike Court at the Pitt Center.
Robert Morris - 12-8, 6-1 NEC
Sacred Heart - 7-13, 2-5 NEC
The Turning Point
Robert Morris opened the game on a 14-0 in the first 7:01. SHU was able to cut the deficit to nine after five straight points from Kinnon LaRose and E.J. Anosike made the score 14-5 with 11:28 to go in the half. Seven straight points from Zach Radz got the Pioneers within seven at the 7:34 mark, making the score 19-12. That was as close as SHU would get. The Colonials scored 16 unanswered points to take a 42-15 lead with 1:43 to go in the half, and led 42-20 at halftime.
- RMU opened the game with 14 unanswered points in 7:01. Matty McConnell and Dachon Burke combined for 10 of the 14 points.
- The Pioneers got on the scoreboard with 12:53 to go on a LaRose free throw. He also had SHU's first basket on a layup at the 12:25 mark.
- With 8:48 to go, Radz put in a layup that started a SHU 7-0 run that got the Pioneers within seven, 19-12, at the 7:34 mark. Radz scored all seven points.
- Layups by David Cole and Matty McConnell sparked a 16-0 Robert Morris run that put the Colonials ahead 42-15 with 1:43 to go. SHU was 0-4 from the field with four turnovers during that stretch of 3:19.
- SHU shot just 29.2% from the field in the first half. Its 20 first half points were a season-low.
- A Sean Hoehn layup with 17:08 to go sparked a 9-3 SHU run that got the Pioneers within 18, 51-33. Radz had a layup and a three-point play in the run.
- The Pioneers had a 10-3 run midway through the second half to get within 15, 64-49, with 6:30 to go. Four different Pioneers scored during the stretch of 4:43, as SHU held Robert Morris to 1-for-6 from the field with four turnovers.
- Radz tied his career-high of 17 points with a jumper at the 8:15 mark.
- Lopez got his seventh double-double of the season with his 10th rebound at the 4:32 mark.
Key Stats and Notes
- Lopez led SHU with 18 points and all players with 10 rebounds.
- Radz tied career-highs with 17 points and seven rebounds. He had 10 points in the first half.
- For only the third time all season, SHU was outrebounded. Robert Morris had 39 rebounds to the Pioneers' 35.
- SHU shot 50% from the field in the second half to get to 41.1% for the game. The Colonials shot 42.2% from the field.
- Burke led all scorers with 19 points. McConnell added 16 points.
SHU hosts Saint Francis U on Saturday, Jan. 20 at 1 p.m.