PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Sacred Heart men's basketball team made a late rally Friday night at Dunkin' Donuts Center, but could only get as close as eight points as the Providence Friars defeated the Pioneers 89-75.
Sacred Heart – 5-8
Providence – 9-4
The Turning Point
Providence jumped out to a 19-2 run in the first 6:36 of Friday night's game. Despite a 10-3 run by SHU that got the Pioneers within nine, 26-17, the Friars shot 56.3% from the field in the first half to take a 49-32 lead. Providence took its largest lead of the game with 6:23 to go when a Rodney Bullock three-point put the Friars ahead by 21, 79-58. Sparked by a pair of Mario Matasovic free throws, the Pioneers went on a 14-2 run over 3:36 to get within nine, 81-72. Alex Watson made back-to-back threes in that stretch as five different players scored to cut the Providence lead to single digits. SHU got to within eight with 1:39 to go on a Sean Hoehn three, but that would be as close as the Pioneers would get.
- Providence made its first 3 three-pointers of the game and started 5-for-6 from the field to take a 14-2 lead at the 16:35 mark.
- After starting the half 3-for-13 from the field, SHU finished the first half 14-for-34 from the field for 41.2%.
- The Pioneers made four of their first six shots from the field, cutting the deficit to 15 at 55-40 with 17:17 to go.
- A pair of Matasovic free throws with 6:07 to go sparked a 14-2 SHU run. Chris Robinson's layup with 2:26 to go made the score 81-72.
- Watson scored 10 of his 15 points in the second half.
- SHU shot 54.8% from the field in the half, holding Providence to 37.1%.
Key Stats and Notes
- Watson led SHU with a career-high 15 points. The freshman guard was a perfect 5-for-5 from the field with three three-pointers.
- Matasovic added 14 points. Hoehn scored in double-figures for the fifth straight game with 11 points. He also had a team-high five assists.
- The Pioneers outrebounded the Friars 40-39.
- SHU finished the game shooting 47.7% from the field. Providence shot 46.3%.
SHU opens Northeast Conference play on Friday, Dec. 29 against St. Francis Brooklyn at the Pitt Center. The game will tip-off at 3:30 p.m. as the second game in a doubleheader with the SHU women's basketball team.