FAIRFIELD, Conn. - The Sacred Heart men's basketball team was held scoreless for the final 9:16 Sunday at the Pitt Center, as the Binghamton Bearcats rallied from an eight-point second half deficit to win 51-48.
Binghamton - 8-4
Sacred Heart - 5-7
The Turning Point
Sacred Heart used a 13-1 run in the first half to take a 33-19 lead with 1:56 to go. Sean Hoehn, Kinnon LaRose, and Zach Radz each had a three-pointer in that stretch to give the Pioneers their largest lead of the game. Binghamton cut the deficit to 10 at halftime on four straight points from J.C. Show.
The Bearcats extended Show's 4-0 run into a 10-2 run to start the second half, getting within six at 35-29 on an Everson Davis layup with 16:44 to go. SHU got the lead back up to 10 with 15:16 to go when a pair of Joseph Lopez layups made the score 41-31. The Pioneers led 46-40 with 9:16 to go when E.J. Anosike made a jumper to put SHU back up by eight. That would be the Pioneers last basket of the game. Binghamton closed the game on an 11-0 run, with Show making three three-pointers including the eventual game-winner with 1:36 to go. SHU had a chance to force overtime in the final seconds, but Radz's three-pointer was off the mark.
- The Pioneers opened the game with a 7-0 run.
- SHU held Binghamton scoreless for the first 4:40 of the game.
- Binghamton made its first two-pointt basket at the 11:13 mark after starting 0-for-8
- The Bearcats got within two, 20-18, with 5:36 to go on Caleb Stewart's second three-pointer of the game
- Back-to-back threes Hoehn and LaRose started a 13-1 run that put the Pioneers ahead 33-19 with 1:50 to go. A three by Radz capped the run.
- SHU shot 42.3% from the field in the first half, holding Binghamton to 26.9%.
- Show's three at the 11:57 mark cut the Bingamton deficit to five, 43-38, and capped a 7-2 run.
- Binghamton took the lead 51-48 with 1:36 to go on Show's fifth three-pointer of the game. It was the Bearcats' one and only lead of the game.
- The Pioneers were 1-from-11 from the field in the last 10:00 of the game.
- SHU shot 22.6% from the field and scored just 15 points in the second half.
Key Stats and Notes
- Sean Hoehn led SHU with 11 points, seven rebounds, and four assists. Sunday was Hoehn's fourth straight game scoring in double-doubles.
- Joseph Lopez also scored 11 points and added six rebounds.
- Mario Matasovic led the Pioneers with eight rebounds.
- SHU shot 31.6% from the field while Binghamton shot 33.9%.
The Pioneers play their final game before Christmas on Friday, Dec. 22 when SHU travels to Providence for a 6:30 p.m. showdown. The game will be telecast on Fox Sports 1.