FAIRFIELD, Conn. - De'von Barnett, Joseph Lopez, and Sean Hoehn each scored a game-high 15 points as the Sacred Heart men's basketball team defeated the Lafayette Leopards 62-50 Saturday afternoon at the Pitt Center.
Lafayette - 1-8
Sacred Heart - 5-5
The Turning Point
The two teams traded baskets to start the game, with an Alex Petrie jumper getting Lafayette within two, 15-13, at the 11:02 mark. SHU then held the Leopards scoreless for the next 7:12, expanding the lead to nine, 22-13. The Pioneers led by as much as 11 on a Sean Hoehn layup at the 2:17 mark and held a 27-19 lead at the half.
Lafayette closed the gap to four in the second half. A 7-2 Leopards run, capped by a pair of E.J. Stephens free throws, made the score 37-33 with 10:39 to go. An Alex Watson jumper sparked an 11-2 SHU run over the next 6:11, with a De'von Barnett layup putting the Pioneers ahead 48-35 with 4:28 to go.
- Hoehn had seven of SHU's first nine points, including making his first two three-pointers.
- SHU took an 18:13 lead with 10:51 to go on Hoehn's third triple of the game.
- Kinnon LaRose's layup at the 4:39 mark snapped a SHU field goal drought of 6:12 and put SHU ahead 22-13.
- The Pioneers held Lafayette scoreless for 7:12 before a pair of Kyle Stout free throws got the Leopards within seven, 22-15, at the 3:50 mark. During that stretch, Lafayette was 0-for-8 from the field with six turnovers.
- SHU committed only three turnovers in the first half
- The two teams opened the second half a combined 3-for-15 from the field.
- Lopez had SHU's first four points of the half. His layup at the 16:55 mark put the Pioneers ahead 31-21.
- Barnett ended a 4:35 SHU field goal drought with his layup at the 12:20 mark, putting the Pioneers ahead 35-26.
- A 7-2 Lafayette run got the Leopards within four, 37-33, with 10:39 to go. SHU then held the Leopards without a field goal for the next 7:16 to take a 13-point lead.
Key Stats and Notes
- SHU's 50 points allowed were the fewest given up the Pioneers since Monmouth scored 41 on Jan. 31, 2005.
- Lopez had his fourth double-double of the season with 15 points and 16 rebounds. His 16 boards tied a career-high.
- Barnett's 15 points and nine rebounds were both season-highs.
- Hoehn's 15 points gave him back-to-back double-figure scoring performances for the first time this season.
- SHU held Lafayette under 30% from the field and outrebounded the Leopards 53-43.
- The Pioneers committed a season-low nine turnovers.
The Pioneers travel to play Hartford Monday night at 7 p.m.