FAIRFIELD, Conn. - Led by 19 points and five assists from Sean Hoehn, the Sacred Heart men's basketball team earned a 79-73 win over the Dartmouth Big Green Tuesday night at the Pitt Center.
The Turning Point
SHU led 28-25 with 3:37 to play in the first half when Hoehn bookended a quick 8-2 run with three-pointers to put the Pioneers ahead 36-27. Dartmouth would cut the lead to six before a Zach Radz driving layup in the final seconds of the half gave SHU a 40-32 halftime lead. SHU used a 12-0 run in the second half to take a 60-42 lead with 10:53 to play. Alex Watson scored five points in that run with Radz making three free throws to cap it. Dartmouth made a late push in the last couple minutes, but only got as close as six points.
- Dartmouth started the game 1-for-9 from the field, but had four offensive rebounds that turned into four second chance points
- Back-to-back baskets by De'von Barnett sparked a Pioneers' 7-0 run to put SHU up 9-4 at the 13:43 mark.
- Two threes from Hoehn and one from Radz gave the Pioneers a 26-18 lead with 5:50 to go
- Dartmouth went on a 6-0 run, sparked by a Brendan Barry three-pointer, to cut the lead to two, 26-24, with 4:32 to go.
- Hoehn's fourth three-pointer of the half put SHU ahead 36-27 with 2:27 to go, marking the Pioneers' largest lead of the half. His triple capped a 8-2 SHU run.
- Charles Tucker Jr. tied his season-high of eight points in the first half, going 4-for-5 from the field.
- SHU took its first 10-point lead when Joseph Lopez scored the first basket of the second half, giving the Pioneers a 42-32 lead.
- Alex Watson 3 at 13:19 put SHU ahead 53-42
- The Pioneers used a 12-0 run over 3:07 to take a 60-42 lead, SHU's largest of the game. Watson scored five of the 12 points in that stretch, and Radz capped the run with three straight free throws.
- A Taylor Johnson basket with 5:41 to go kickstarted a 12-3 Big Green run that got Dartmouth to within nine, 69-60, with 2:22 to go.
Key Stats and Notes
- Tuesday was the first meeting on the hardwood between Dartmouth and Sacred Heart.
- Hoehn last scored 19 points on Jan. 27, 2016 at LIU Brooklyn. He was 6-for-12 from the field and made a season-high four three-pointers.
- Radz scored a career-high 17 points, going 5-for-8 from the field and 5-for-7 at the foul line. It was his third double-figure scoring game of the season.
- Lopez scored 14 points with a game-high nine rebounds.
- SHU shot 50.9% from the field, holding Dartmouth to 41.9%. Each team had 35 rebounds.
SHU hosts Lafayette on Saturday, Dec. 9 at 3:30 PM in the second game of a doubleheader with the Sacred Heart women's basketball team. The SHU women's team hosts Providence at 1 p.m. Saturday.