ROSEMONT, Ill. – The Sacred Heart men's basketball team saw its two-game winning steak end Wednesday night with an 81-50 loss to the Northwestern Wildcats at Allstate Arena.
Sacred Heart – 2-4
Northwestern – 4-2
The Turning Point
Northwestern jumped out to a 13-3 lead in the first 4:14, with Vic Law scoring six points early. After falling behind 16-5, a Joseph Lopez three-pointer sparked a 12-2 SHU run over 3:41 that got the Pioneers within one 18-17 with 9:55 to go in the first. The Wildcats countered with a 13-4 run over the next 4:46, as a Gavin Skelly three-pointer and a Scottie Lindsey jumper put Northwestern ahead 31-21 with 5:09 left in the half. SHU would only get as close as seven points for the rest of the half. The Wildcats used a 16-4 run early in the second half to take a 59-37 lead.
- Northwestern opened the game on an 8-0 run.
- Seven straight Lopez points in 1:14 made the score 16-12 at the 12:22 mark. He made three shots in a row, including his first three of the season.
- SHU was as close as one, 18-17, with 9:55 remaining after pair of Hoehn free throws capped a 12-2 SHU run.
- Bryant McIntosh hit a runner in the lane to put the Wildcats up by 12 at the half, 43-31
- Both teams shot 50% from the field in the first half
- Hoehn had eight points and five assists, with just one turnover, at the half.
- SHU assisted on all 12 of its made baskets in the half.
- Hoehn dished out his single-game career-high sixth assist with 18:02 to play on a dunk by Lopez.
- Northwestern opened the second half on a 10-2 run to take a 53-35 lead at the 15:54 mark.
- SHU scored 10 points in the first 12:00 of the second half
- The Pioneers had a 9:29 FG drought in the second half.
Key Stats and Notes
- Lopez and Mario Matasovic each had a team-high 13 points. For Lopez, it was his 11th straight game scoring in double figures.
- Hoehn finished the game with a career-high eight assists.
- SHU did not outrebound its opponent for the first time this season. Each team had 29 rebounds in the game.
SHU continues its current three-game road swing at UMass Lowell on Wednesday, Nov. 29. Tipoff is at 7 p.m.