RIVERDALE, N.Y. – The Sacred Heart men's basketball team had four players score in double figures Friday night in an 81-71 win over the Manhattan Jaspers in exhibition action at Draddy Gymnasium.
Sean Hoehn led the Pioneers with 19 points, adding six rebounds and five assists. Mario Matasovic was a perfect 8-for-8 from the field for 18 points. Freshman E.J. Anosike had 11 points off the bench and Kinnon LaRose had 10 points. Zach Radz had a game-high 10 rebounds off the bench and added eight points.
- SHU made its first nine shots from the field.
- A Matasovic layup with 15:22 remaining started a 9-0 run for the Pioneers. A Jaecee Martin steal and score capped the spurt, putting SHU ahead 16-10 with 11:05 left in the half.
- Back-to-back threes by Hoehn and Matasovic sparked a 10-3 run that put SHU ahead by 11, 38-27, with 2:47 to go. Matasovic had the last seven points in the run.
- SHU held Manhattan without a field goal for the final 5:29 of the half
- The Pioneers shot 69% from the field in the half and assisted on 16 of 18 made baskets. The Jaspers shot just 28.6% from the field.
- LaRose had the first five SHU points of the half, with his three at the 16:37 mark putting SHU up by 14 49-35.
- Radz's three-pointer with 8:43 remaining capped 11-3 run over 2:58 that put the Pioneers up 65-49. Four different players scored in the run.
- Manhattan got as close as four points late in the game, but six straight points from Radz and Anosike put SHU up by 10 75-65 with 2:07 to play.
The Pioneers open the 2017-18 season at the Pitt Center on Friday, November 10 at 6 p.m. against Holy Cross.