EMMITSBURG, Md. – The Sacred Heart men's basketball team led Mount St. Mary's 36-33 at halftime Saturday at Knott Arena, but the Mountaineers held the Pioneers to 25% from the floor in the second half as they rallied for a 67-53 win.
SHU shot just 25% from the field in the second half after shooting 50% in the first. Sean Hoehn tied a season-high with 17 points, making 5-of-6 three pointers. He is the seventh Pioneer in program history to shoot 83.3% from the three-point arc in a single game. Joseph Lopez had 10 points and six rebounds. De'von Barnett added nine points and a game-high seven rebounds.
- Sparked by a Junior Robinson three-pointer, Mount St. Mary's (11-12, 9-1 NEC) broke a 4-4 tie with an 11-2 run over 3:11 to take a 15-6 lead with 15:38 remaining.
- Sacred Heart (8-15, 3-7 NEC) responded with a 16-1 run over 3:44 to take a 25-18 lead with 11:21 left in the half. SHU went 7-for-7 from the field during that stretch with Mario Matasovic scoring the final five points. Five different players scored for the Pioneers to give them their first lead of the game.
- SHU led 28-20 with 8:09 to play when the Mountaineers went on an 11-3 run to tie the game at 31-31 on an Elijah Long three-pointer.
- The Pioneers finished the half scoring five of the last seven points to take a 36-33 halftime lead.
- SHU shot 50% from the field and the three-point line in the first half. The Pioneers held the Mountaineers to 3-for-13 from the three-point line in the half.
- Mount opened half on 10-2 run, capped by a dunk by Long, to take a 43-38 lead at the 15:07 mark.
- Hoehn made two straight three-pointers to get SHU within three, 47-44, with 10:45 to play.
- The Mountaineers pulled away with a 12-5 run over 3:46 to pull away and take a 59-49 lead at the 6:59 mark. Mount St. Mary's was 4-for-4 from the field during that stretch, while SHU went 2-for-6 with three turnovers.
- Hoehn scored 11 of his 17 points in the second half.
Mount St. Mary's shot 46% from the field for the game, holding Sacred Heart to 38.5%. The Mountaineers also held a 33-32 edge on the glass. Long led Mount St. Mary's with 15 points and six assists, adding six rebounds. Robinson and Miles Wilson each had 11 points.
The Pioneers are back in action at Fairleigh Dickinson on Thursday, Feb. 2 at 7 p.m.