FAIRFIELD, Conn. - The Sacred Heart men's basketball team dropped a hard-fought game Saturday to the Wagner Seahawks 67-62 at Coach Bike Court at the Pitt Center.
Junior forward Joseph Lopez led SHU in scoring with 14 points and grabbed six rebounds. Matej Buovac added 13 points off the bench. Sean Hoehn made four three-pointers for 12 points and had a game-high six assists.
- Sacred Heart (8-13, 3-5 NEC) took an 8-5 lead with 14:58 to play with a 6-0 run highlighted by a Buovac three-pointer.
- Wagner (8-10, 4-4 NEC) took a 9-8 lead at 14:02 after a Corey Henson three and Michael Carey free throw.
- Starting with a Buovac layup at the 13:04 mark, SHU went on a 10-2 run over the next 2:50 to take a 20-14 lead. A Charles Tucker Jr. three-point play capped the run.
- The Pioneers took their largest lead of the half with 6:04 to play, as a pair of Buovac free throws put SHU up seven, 26-19.
- The Seahawks used an 8-3 run over 4:44 to get within two, 29-27, with 1:20 left in the half.
- SHU scored five of the last seven points to take a 34-29 halftime lead.
- With the Pioneers ahead 40-33, Wagner went on an 8-1 run over 1:50 to tie the game 41-41 with 14:51 to play.
- Buovac and Mario Matasovic then combined for eight SHU points to put the Pioneers ahead 49-43 with 11:38 remaining.
- Carey and Mike Aaman led the Seahawks on a 12-2 run that gave Wagner a 55-51 lead with 5:32 to play.
- Sacred Heart tied the game three different times, as a De'von Barnett jumper leveled the game, 60-60, with 2:13 to play. That was SHU's last basket of the game.
- Wagner scored seven of the last nine points to win 67-62.
SHU shot 46% from the field and 75% at the foul line Saturday. Wagner shot 45.1% from the field, and 52.2% in the second half. The Seahawks outrebounded the Pioneers 31-30 and scored 21 points off of 19 SHU turnovers. Carey led Wagner with 22 points and 10 rebounds. Connor Ferrell scored 12 points as Aaman added 11 points and four rebounds.
Sacred Heart wraps up its current homestand on Thursday, Jan. 26 at 7 p.m. when the LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds come to the Pitt Center.