STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – The Sacred Heart men's basketball team was within three points of the Wagner Seahawks with 3:27 to play Saturday at Spiro Sports Center, but the Seahawks' 10-0 run with 2:20 to play gave Wagner a 75-64 win.
Matej Buovac led the Pioneers with a season-high 15 points, going 5-for-8 from the three-point arc. De'von Barnett added 14 points. Quincy McKnight scored all 12 of his points in the second half and added five assists.
Wagner (6-8, 2-2 NEC) went on an 8-2 run early in the game, as a Corey Henson layup put the Seahawks ahead 10-4 with 12:24 remaining. The Pioneers responded with an 8-2 run of their own at the 9:16 mark. Back-to-back Buovac threes capped the spurt that tied the game 16-16. SHU took its first lead of the game at the 5:55 mark as Buovac's third three-pointer of the half made the score 23-22. The Pioneers led 29-28 with 3:08 to play in the half before Wagner scored seven of the last nine points of the half. Henson's three-pointer with 0:50 left gave the Seahawks a 35-31 halftime advantage.
Sacred Heart (6-11, 1-3 NEC) fell behind by 12 points early in the second half, as a Henson three with 17:03 to play gave the Seahawks a 47-35 lead. McKnight then sparked a 10-0 run for the Pioneers to close the gap to two, 47-45, with 12:03 to play. Wagner would extend the lead back to eight, 63-55, at the 5:13 mark, only to have SHU close to within three with 3:27 to go on Buovac's fifth three-pointer of the game. The Seahawks then came alive for one last spurt. Henson, Mike Aaman, and Michael Carey went on a 10-0 run for Wagner to make the score 73-60 with 0:24 left to play, putting the game away for the Seahawks.
Wagner shot 45.8% from the field Saturday, while Sacred Heart shot 42.6%. Both teams had 37 rebounds. The Seahawks scored 20 points off of 15 Pioneer turnovers. Henson led all players with 24 points and seven assists. Carey had 21 points, all of which came in the second half.
The Pioneers are back on the road on Thursday, Jan. 12 for a 7 p.m. game at St. Francis Brooklyn.
- An 8-2 run early in the half gave Wagner a 10-4 lead.
- Back-to-back threes by Buovac capped a SHU 8-2 run that tied the game 16-16 with 8:16 to play in the half
- Buovac scored 12 straight Pioneer points in the half, as his fourth three-pointer of the half gave SHU its first lead, 23-22, at the 5:55 mark.
- Layups by Barnett and Sean Hoehn put SHU ahead 29-28 with 3:08 to play in the half.
- Wagner ended the half by scoring seven of the last nine points to take a 35-31 halftime lead.
- The Pioneers held Wagner's Michael Carey, who had 21 points and 22 rebounds Thursday night against Fairleigh Dickinson, to zero points and two rebounds in the first half.
- The Seahawks rolled Henson's three to end the first half into a 10-0 run, as another Henson three at the 18:29 mark put Wagner ahead 42-31.
- Sean Hoehn's three-pointer with 12:03 remaining capped a 10-0 Pioneers run, getting SHU within two at 47-45.
- After Mike Aaman's layup at the 5:13 mark gave Wagner a 63-55 advantage, SHU closed to within three with 3:27 to play with a pair of McKnight free throws and a Buovac three.
- Wagner went on a 10-0 run in 1:56 to take a 73-60 lead.
- After not scoring in the first half, McKnight and Joseph Lopez combined for 18 points in the second half.