CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. – The Sacred Heart men's basketball team rallied from an 11-point halftime deficit to the Boston College Eagles Sunday Conte Forum to take a 48-47 lead with 10:24 to play. However, the Eagles came back for an 82-75 win.
Sophomore guard Quincy McKnight scored a career-high 36 points for the Pioneers. He was 10-of-18 from the field and 15-of-18 from the free throw line. McKnight scored 25 of his 36 points in the second half. Joseph Lopez added 16 points and a game-high nine rebounds. De'von Barnett had six points and eight rebounds.
Sacred Heart (5-7) led 6-5 early on, getting four straight points from Barnett and McKnight. Boston College responded with an 11-2 run over six minutes as a Nik Popovic layup gave the Eagles a 16-8 lead. The Eagles led by 21-12 before Lopez and Chris Robinson combined for a 7-2 run to get the Pioneers within four, 23-19, with 8:56 to play in the half. SHU closed to within three, 29-26, at the 6:17 mark on a Sean Hoehn layup. That turned out to be the Pioneers' only basket for almost five minutes. The Eagles went on a 10-0 run, capped off by a Jerome Robinson dunk, to take a 39-26 lead.
Boston College (6-5) scored first in the second half, but the SHU defense put the clamps down soon after. Sacred Heart went on a 16-0 run over 6:23 early in the half to take a 46-43 lead. SHU went 8-of-9 from the free throw line during that stretch, and also forced nine Eagles turnovers. McKnight scored eight of the 16 points with Barnett and Lopez each scoring four. The Pioneers led 48-47 with 10:24 to play after McKnight made a pair of foul shots, but Boston College would come back. A Robinson three at the 9:23 mark started a quick 7-0 run that put the Eagles back in front 54-48.
SHU shot 42.4% from the field for the game as Boston College shot 42.6%. The Pioneers outrebounded the Eagles 45-39 but had 21 turnovers to Boston College's 15. Robinson led all scorers with 32 points.
The Pioneers return to the Pitt Center on Wednesday, Dec. 21 to host Holy Cross at 7 p.m.
- SHU used 11 players in the first half, as seven amassed at least two fouls.
- The Pioneers committed 15 turnovers in the half, leading to 18 Boston College points.
- Boston College forced seven SHU turnovers in its early 11-2 run.
- Lopez scored all eight of his points in the half in a span of 2:57.
- SHU held Boston College to 0-for-5 from the field in its 16-0 run early in the second half. The Pioneers forced nine Eagles turnovers, five of which were steals.
- McKnight's first eight points in the second half all came at the free throw line.
- Freshman Shawn Montague scored five points in 0:45, with his three-point play at the 7:42 mark getting SHU within three 56-53.
- McKnight was 11-for-12 at the free throw line in the second half.