EASTON, Pa. – Six different Pioneers scored in double figures Sunday as the Sacred Heart men's basketball team earned an 85-61 win over the Lafayette Leopards Sunday afternoon at Kirby Sports Center.
Junior forward Joseph Lopez led all players with 14 points and tied his season-high with 14 rebounds. Matej Buovac and Sean Hoehn each scored 13 points. Chris Robinson, Quincy McKnight, and Charles Tucker Jr. all had 12 points. Tucker had a game-high 7 assists as McKnight pulled down nine rebounds.
Lafayette (3-6) jumped out to a quick 8-2 lead as Paulius Zalys and Matt Klinewski scored all eight Leopards points in the first 2:43. SHU then went on a 12-3 run over a stretch of 4:56 to take a 14-11 lead, with Buovac scoring seven of the 12 points. The Leopards came back to take an 18-15 lead on a Klinewski jumper at the 10:31 mark. The Pioneers responded with a 12-0 run over the next 3:04 as a Lopez fast break layup put SHU up 27-18. The lead grew to 11 with 4:13 left in the half on a Robinson three-pointer that made the score 34-23. SHU led by as much as 14 in the half before taking a 43-30 lead at halftime.
Sacred Heart (5-6) opened the second half on a 14-5 run, as a pair of Hoehn foul shots made the score 57-35 with 16:23 to play. Lafayette closed to within 15 with 12:32 to play, but seven straight SHU points got the lead back up to 22 66-44. The Pioneers took their largest lead of the game with 2:45 to play, as a De'von Barnett tip-in put SHU up 27 83-56.
SHU shot 46.8% from the field, holding Lafayette to 36.8%. The Pioneers also dominated the glass 48-33 and scored 40 points in the paint to the Leopards' 16. Hunter Janacek led Lafayette with 12 points. Zalys added 11 points and nine rebounds.
The Pioneers return to action after finals next Sunday, Dec. 18 at Boston College. Tipoff is at 1 p.m.
- Sean Hoehn had SHU's first field goal of the game on a three at the 16:07 mark.
- Buovac scored seven points in a stretch of 2:37 in the half, with his three at the 12:02 mark giving SHU a 14-11 lead.
- SHU took a 27-18 lead with 8:03 to play on a 12-0 run that included threes from Robinson and Hoehn.
- The Pioneers made six of 11 three-pointers in the half, and had 11 assists to just three turnovers.
- SHU opened with 14-5 run to take 57-35 lead, largest of game to that point.
- Lopez reached his double-double with his 10th point at the 17:35 mark.
- Hoehn had his first career blocked shot at the 15:50 mark.
- Freshman Shawn Montague scored his first two collegiate points on a layup in the final minute.