FAIRFIELD, Conn. – The Sacred Heart men's basketball team wrapped up its three-game homestand Thursday night with a 66-52 loss to the Yale Bulldogs at Coach Bike Court at the Pitt Center.
De'von Barnett led the Pioneers with his second double-double in three games. The redshirt-junior forward had 14 points and 12 rebounds for the game. Quincy McKnight had 12 points and three steals. Chris Robinson added nine points off the bench.
Yale (4-4) opened the game on a 7-2 run with an Alex Copeland jumper putting the Bulldogs up by five at the 16:50 mark. SHU trailed 9-4 before going on a 12-0 run over 4:05 to take a 16-9 lead with 12:05 left in the first half. Barnett scored six straight points in the run. The Pioneers led 21-14 before an Eric Monroe three-point play sparked an 8-0 Yale run to put the Bulldogs ahead 22-21. SHU got a Barnett layup and Sean Hoehn three to take a 26-24 lead with 1:49 left in the half. Blake Reynolds tied the game 26-26 0:35 before halftime.
Sacred Heart (4-6) found itself on the wrong end of hot Yale shooting to start the second half. The Bulldogs opened the half on a 14-2 run over the first 5:05 to go ahead 40-28. The Pioneers went 0-for-6 from the floor to start the second before McKnight's three-pointer at the 15:14 mark. Yale's Jordan Bruner then scored six straight points to start a 13-0 Bulldogs run that gave them a 53-31 lead with 10:00 to go. SHU ended the game on an 11-4 run to make the final deficit 14, 66-52, with Robinson making two three-pointers in the final four minutes.
The Pioneers shot just 31.7% from the field while Yale shot 50.7% from the floor. Yale also held a 39-33 edge on the glass. Copeland led the Bulldogs with 16 points and four assists. Bruner had 14 points and six rebounds off the bench.
Sacred Heart goes on the road this weekend for a matchup Sunday at Lafayette. Tipoff is at 2 p.m.
- After trailing 9-4 at the 16:10 mark, the Pioneers went on a 12-0 run that gave them a 16-9 lead with 12:05 remaining.
- Barnett had eight points and eight rebounds in the first half.
- Both defenses were stout midway through the first half, as neither team scored for a stretch of five minutes.
- Yale came out in the second half explosive as it went on a 22-5 run, taking the lead 48-31at the 11:58 mark.
- Barnett solidified his second double-double in three games at the 8:32 mark with his 10th point of the game.
- Robinson scored six of his nine points in the second half.