FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Led by a career-high 34 points from sophomore guard Quincy McKnight, the Sacred Heart men's basketball team defeated the UMass Lowell River Hawks 91-82 Tuesday night at Coach Bike Court at the Pitt Center.
McKnight was 11-of-21 from the field and 11-for-13 at the foul line. He also added a game-high nine rebounds and five assists. Charles Tucker Jr. scored a season-high 13 points with five assists and a game-high four steals. Joseph Lopez added 11 points and seven rebounds. De'von Barnett was 5-of-7 from the field for 10 points.
Sacred Heart (4-5) used a 10-0 run over 1:48 early in the game to take a 10-2 lead at the 17:49 mark of the first half. McKnight capped the run with his only three-pointer of the game. UMass Lowell responded with a 7-0 run to cut the deficit to one, 10-9, with 15:17 remaining. The River Hawks later used a 7-2 run capped off by a Tyler Livingston three to take a 16-14 lead.
UMass Lowell (2-8) led 19-17 when the Pioneers went on a 17-3 run over the next 6:26 to take a 34-22 lead with 3:49 to play in the half. Barnett had six points in the run as five different SHU players scored in that stretch. Defensively, SHU held the River Hawks to 1-of-9 from the field and forced four turnovers. SHU led by as much as 12 in the half as it took a 42-31 lead into halftime.
The River Hawks closed to within six early in the second half, as back-to-back layups by Livingston and Jahad Thomas made the score 46-40 at the 17:24 mark. SHU used a 10-2 run over a span of 3:04 to go up 58-44 with 13:43 to go. McKnight ended the run with back-to-back layups. The Pioneers took their largest lead of the game with 11:44 to play. A McKnight three-point play gave SHU an 18-point lead, 66-48. UMass Lowell got as close as eight with 8:38 remaining on a Rinardo Perry triple, but that was as close as the River Hawks would get. The Pioneers opened the lead back up to 15 on a pair of Matej Buovac foul shots at the 2:14 mark and SHU coasted from there.
SHU shot a season-high 55.4% from the field Tuesday night and 85.2% from the field. UMass Lowell shot 42.9% from the field and outrebounded the Pioneers 37-33. The Pioneers assisted on 18 of 31 made baskets. Thomas led UMass Lowell with 21 points, eight rebounds, and five assists.
Sacred Heart wraps up its current homestand Thursday night when Yale comes to the Pitt Center for an 8 p.m. matchup.
- SHU used a 17-3 run over 6:26 to take a 34-22 lead at the 3:49 mark. Five different Pioneers scored during the run with Barnett scoring six points.
- SHU shot 51.7% from the field and 9-for-9 at the foul line in the half.
- The Pioneers led at the half for the first time this season.
- Sacred Heart made 10 of its first 13 shots from the field in the second half.
- The Pioneers shot 59.3% from the field in the second half, committing just four turnovers.
- After going 4-for-11 from the field in the first half, McKnight was 7-for-10 from the field and 7-of-9 from the free throw line for 21 points in the second half.