SANTA CLARA, Calif. – The Sacred Heart men's basketball team could not overcome the three-point shooting of the Santa Clara Broncos Monday night at the Leavey Center, falling 84-74.
Santa Clara made 12 three-pointers in the game with the Pioneers mustering just three made triples in 13 attempts. Quincy McKnight, who was named NEC Player of the Week Monday afternoon, recorded his second career double-double with 20 points and 11 rebounds. He also had a team-high six assists while reaching 20 points for the fourth straight game. Joseph Lopez had 15 points and a game-high nine rebounds. De'von Barnett and Sean Hoehn each scored 10 points.
The two teams traded baskets early, but it was Santa Clara (3-2) with the first real run of the game. A Jared Brownridge three broke an 11-11 tie at the 15:39 mark and sparked a 10-2 run to put the Broncos up 21-13. SHU used an 8-0 run of its own at the 8:17 mark to take a 30-28 lead on a Chris Robinson three-pointer. The lead then changed hands seven times the rest of the half, with Santa Clara taking a 41-38 lead on a Matt Hauser three with 0:22 left in the first.
Sacred Heart (1-3) rallied early in the second half to tie the game 44-44 at the 16:46 mark on a Charles Tucker Jr. layup. The Pioneers were within one, 48-47, before the Broncos went on a 10-2 run highlighted by two Brownridge threes to take a 58-49 lead with 14:12 to go. Brownridge would make another three go give Santa Clara a 10-point edge, 63-53. SHU would make one last run, using its press to go on a 6-0 run to get within five, 72-67, with 6:18 remaining. That would be as close as the Pioneers would get. Santa Clara went on a 9-1 run soon after to go ahead 81-70 with 1:15 to play.
SHU shot 46% from the field for the game as Santa Clara was 54.5% from the floor. Tbe Broncos were 15-for-25 from the field in the second half alone. The Pioneers owned the glass Monday night, outrebounding the Broncos 41-24. However, SHU committed 18 turnovers and only forced 11. Brownridge led all scorers with 32 points. Hauser added 14 points and a game-high 11 assists.
Sacred Heart now travels to Las Vegas for the final two games of the Continental Tire Las Vegas Invitational. The Pioneers take on Northern Colorado on Thursday, Nov. 24 at 5 p.m. eastern at the Orleans Arena.
- Santa Clara's Jared Brownridge scored 11 points in the first 4:44, making three straight threes.
- McKnight's up-and-under layin at the 11:51 mark snapped a 3:14 field goal drought for the Pioneers, making the score 21-15 Santa Clara. The sophomore nearly had a double-double in the first half alone with 11 points and nine rebounds.
- SHU went on an 8-0 run over 0:58 to take a 30-28 at the 7:28 mark. A Chris Robinson three capped the run, with the Pioneers getting baskets from Hoehn and Tucker as well.
- Santa Clara's Matt Hauser made back-to-back threes in the final 1:08 of the half to give the Broncos a 41-38 halftime lead.
- Santa Clara made five of its first six shots from the field to start the half.
- After starting the season 17-for-17 at the free throw line, McKnight missed his first foul shot of the year in the second half.
- Brownridge scored 18 of his 32 points in the second half.