TUCSON, Ariz. – Sophomore guard Quincy McKnight scored over 20 points for the third consecutive game Friday night as the Sacred Heart Pioneers fell 95-65 to the #9/10 Arizona Wildcats at the McKale Center.
McKnight was 8-of-13 from the field for 22 points, making all six of his free throws. Joseph Lopez added 15 points and three rebounds with Matej Buovac chipping in 12 points. SHU shot 37.9% from the field for the game.
Sacred Heart (1-2) hung with Arizona (3-0) early as six quick points from Lopez kept the Pioneers within four, 14-10, at the 14:42 mark of the opening half. The Wildcats responded with an 11-0 run over the next 4:02 to go ahead 25-10. A Parker Jackson-Cartwright three-pointer punctuated the Arizona run. Arizona led by as much as 25 in the first half, taking a 49-25 lead at halftime.
McKnight caught fire to start the second half, scoring nine of the first 10 Pioneer points to make the score 59-35 with 15:51 to play. The Wildcats led by as much as 39 in the half, but SHU ended the game on a 7-0 run. A Cole Walton layup, a pair of McKnight free throws, and a three-pointer by Zach Radz made the final score 95-65.
The Pioneers next game in the Continental Tire Las Vegas Invitational is Monday, Nov. 21 when SHU plays at Santa Clara. Tip-off is at 10 p.m. eastern.
- Lopez scored six of the Pioneers' first 10 points, putting SHU within four, 14-10, at the 14:42 mark.
- The first 10 SHU points were scored in the paint.
- Arizona went on a 17-5 run over 5:49 to go up 31-15 with 7:55 remaining, prompting a SHU timeout.
- Sean Hoehn's three at the 5:35 mark snapped a 4:29 SHU field goal drought.
- SHU held the Wildcats without a field goal for the last 2:59 of the half.
- McKnight scored nine of SHU's first 10 points in the half.
- Lopez picked up his fourth foul at the 16:29 mark.
- McKnight and Cole Walton combined for an alley-oop layin at the 8:52 mark.
- McKnight finished the half with 20 points.
- SHU finished the game on a 7-0 run over the last 2:41.