Pioneer Struggles at the Mount Continue with 91-82 Loss

Pioneer Struggles at the Mount Continue with 91-82 Loss

FAIRFIELD, CT (February 2, 2013) – Mount St. Mary's shot 63.0 percent (17-27) in the first half on their way to building a 23-point halftime lead in dealing the Sacred Heart Pioneers a 91-82 Northeast Conference loss Saturday afternoon in Emmitsburg, MD.  Rashad Whack made 10-of-16 including seven three's on his way to a game-high 35 points for the Mount.  SHU's Louis Montes (Brockton, MA) finished with 21 points as the Pioneers drop their second-straight.

The Mount (9-12, 4-6 NEC) put on an early three-point shooting clinic, scoring 21 of their first 29 points from downtown.  Whack got his team off to a 6-0 start with a pair of triples as the Mount would go on to lead from the whole way Saturday afternoon.   The Mountaineers put together a 15-2 run to take a 20-7 lead and another big run, this time 18-6, gave them a 38-15 lead just before the final media time-out of the half.

Sacred Heart (8-13, 6-4 NEC) leading scorer Shane Gibson (Killingly, CT) was held in check in the first half, finishing the opening stanza just one of five for two points.  When the halftime horn sounded, Whack was five-of-five from three while the Mount as a team where eight-of-14 (.571) and owners of a 50-27 lead.  Whack scored 23 of his 35 points in the first half.

For the second-straight game, the Pioneers had over 20 turnovers, finishing with 21 miscues leading to 23 points for the Mount.  SHU was more than game in the second half, outscoring Mount St. Mary's 55-41 while shooting 61.1 percent (22-36) over the final 20 minutes.

SHU cut the lead to 62-49 by the 10 minute mark as Gibson got his game going and finished with 16 in the second half.  Mount pushed their lead back to 16 at 6:45 and again at 2:47 but SHU put together another rally to cut the once 23 point lead down to single digits.

A pair of Steve Glowiak (New Britain, CT) three's helped fuel a 12-3 run that got the Pioneers to within 82-75 with 1:05 to play.  The Mount did just enough at the charity stripe (10-14) in the closing minutes to keep the Pioneers within no closer than seven on the road to the win.

The Pioneers have now lost eight-straight times to the Mount and continue to struggle at Knott Arena, falling to 2-11 all-time in the Emmitsburg stop.  In addition to Whack's 35 points, Shivaughn Wiggins added 13 and Julian Norfleet chipped in with 10.

Gibson saw his streak of eight-straight games over the 20-point mark come to an end, finishing two points shy with 18 points.  He added six assists and three steals.  Glowiak made three from behind the arc and finished with 11 points to go with four steals.

Freshman De'Aires Tate (Lathonia, GA) came off the bench and provided a career-high 14 points with eight rebounds, two blocks and a steal in the loss.

The Pioneers will return home to the William H. Pitt Center for five of their next six games starting Thursday night when they host the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights.