BROOKLYN, NY – The Sacred Heart women's volleyball team took the first set of the evening and both teams would trade set victories until LIU Brooklyn broke the pattern, crediting the fifth set for the match win, 3-2, Friday evening at the Steinberg Center.
Liisel Nelis had 15 kills to lead Sacred Heart along with nine digs. Makayla Dole hit for 12 kills while Julia Murawinski and Rianna McNamee each registered 11. Kiki Robinson dished out 52 helpers and secured 11 digs. Madi Pope tabbed a match-high 22 digs on the evening.
Nina Petranovic connected on 19 kills and contributed 11 digs. Julia Azevedo earned 14 kills on .423 hitting. Piper Matsumoto (28) and Amanda Hubbard (23) registered assists while Natalia Rivera led with 20 digs. Emily Magee (15), Petranovic (11) and Viktoria Fink (10) also reached double-digits in digs.
Sacred Heart – 11-15, 5-8 NEC
LIU Brooklyn – 17-9, 10-3 NEC
First Set: SHU 25-22
- This set was tightly contested with neither team able to capitalize following a three-point advantage while also seeing six ties.
- The final tie came at the 14-14 mark, as Nelis was unable to complete her attack.
- From there, SHU rallied behind a 6-3 run, commenced by a Nelis' kill, to take the lead and the Pioneers would remain in front until the set final.
- Murawinski answered a feed from Nelis for the three-point edge, 23-20. LIU would score the set's next two points but McNamee would see her attack result in set point before a Blackbirds' error gave Sacred Heart the win.
Second Set: LIU 25-19
- SHU won the set's first three points before the Blackbirds credited a 4-1 run to even the set at four apiece.
- The set continued to stay close until two miscues by the Pioneers and a kill from Petranovic gave LIU a four-point lead, 18-14, SHU would fail to combat.
- LIU continued to hold the Pioneers by at least four until back-to-back kills put the set in their possession for good.
Third Set: SHU 25-21
- Despite the Blackbirds winning the first point, Sacred Heart showed signs as the aggressor.
- The budding session of the set saw three ties before the Pioneers rallied behind Megan Mondon's service and winning four uninterrupted points, 7-3.
- About midway through, Kiley Ridgway completed the play directed by Robinson allowing for a five-point advantage, 15-10.
- LIU continued to fall victim to Sacred Heart, unable to fill their deficit by more than four until Azevedo landed a kill for the 23-20 score.
- The Blackbirds earned another point following that play but it would be the last one earned for the hosts as they committed crucial errors that gave Sacred Heart the lead.
Fourth Set: LIU 25-22
- Sacred Heart was unable to interrupt an early 6-0 flurry by the hosts until Fink saw her serve unlucky stopping the surge, 6-4.
- LIU continued to put up runs, including a 5-0 spurt and two 3-0 rallies all adding to the 16-6 lead for the Blackbirds.
- Down six at set point, the Pioneers held off the Blackbirds while adding four points to their point total before a Fink kill sealed the set victory.
Fifth Set: LIU 15-10
- LIU erupted for a 7-0 run following a miscue giving Sacred Heart the set's first point.
- Kills from Dole and Nelis filled in some of the Sacred Heart deficit, 7-3.
- Both teams traded points on the next for sequences before the Pioneers scored in back-to-back fashion, 9-6.
- LIU clung to a three-point lead that the Pioneers were unable to negate. Murawinski's kill put the Pioneers back behind three points but it would be the last point earned on the evening for the visitors. LIU benefitted from a Pioneers' mistake and a block assist for the match victory.
The Pioneers stay in Brooklyn for a matchup against St. Francis Brooklyn Saturday, November 11, wrapping up their regular season. The battle begins at 4:00 pm.