FAIRFIELD, Conn. – The Sacred Heart women's volleyball team rallied from two sets down to force a fifth set Friday night at the Pitt Center against the Central Connecticut Blue Devils. However, CCSU hit .312 in the final set to take it 15-12 and the match 3-2 (25-18, 25-21, 22-25, 25-27, 15-12).
Redshirt-Junior Makayla Dole set a new career-high with 27 kills, adding 15 digs. Kiki Robinson also set a career-high with 61 assists. Liisel Nelis put down 21 kills and had 14 kills and four blocks. Cassandra Lew led the Pioneers with 16 digs.
Sacred Heart – 7-10, 1-3 NEC
Central Connecticut – 9-6, 2-2 NEC
First Set: CCSU 25-18
- Central Connecticut opened a 6-4 lead with kills by Madelyn Kaprelyan and Maddie Smith.
- SHU came back with kills by Dole and Kiley Ridgway to tie the set 7-7. The Blue Devils then went on an 8-2 run to take a 15-9 lead.
- Kills by Dole and Gianna Scioletti cut the deficit to four, 15-11. SHU got as close as four three more times, including at 22-18, but that would be as close as the Pioneers would get.
- CCSU hit .243 in the opening set, holding SHU to a -.023.
Second Set: CCSU 25-21
- Smith and Samantha McCreath were in on two blocks in CCSU's 5-2 opening run. SHU cut the deficit to two at 10-8 on a Blue Devils error.
- A kill by Eline van Heijningen sparked a 5-0 run that put CCSU up 15-8.
- The Blue Devils had set point at 24-17, but three straight kills by Dole made the score 24-20 and forced a CCSU timeout. Rianna McNamee then put down a kill to fight off a fourth set point and make the score 24-21. However, a Pioneers error gave the Blue Devils the set 25-21.
Third Set: SHU 25-22
- The Pioneers hit .278 in the set, their highest percentage of the match.
- A block by Nelis and Ridgway capped SHU's 5-2 run to start the set.
- CCSU used a 4-0 run, powered by a solo block by Morgan Woycik and a block by Woycik and van Heijningen, to tie the set 10-10.
- SHU led 16-14 when a Kaprelyan kill sparked a 5-0 Blue Devils run that put CCSU ahead 19-16.
- Trailing 22-21, the Pioneers ran off four straight points to take the set 25-22. Dole had a block and two straight kills to polish off the set.
Fourth Set: SHU 27-25
- The set featured 13 ties and five lead changes.
- SHU opened the set with a 6-3 lead, getting two kills from Nelis.
- The Blue Devils came back to take a 14-13 lead on a Raquel Quirarte kill. The Pioneer then rattled off three straight points on a Ridgway kill, Nelis kill, and Ridgway block to go up 16-14.
- SHU had set point at 24-22, but a service error kept CCSU in the set 24-23. The Blue Devils then got a block and a Pioneers error to earn their first set point at 25-24.
- Dole put down back-to-back kills to give SHU another set point at 26-25. McNamee and Dole got a block on the next point to win the set for SHU 27-25 and tie the match 2-2.
Fifth Set: CCSU 15-12
- The Blue Devils ran out to a 5-2 lead, getting two kills from Quirarte and a block by Kaprelyan and Smith.
- SHU cut the deficit to two, 7-5, on a Dole kill. Smith then had a kill and block to put CCSU ahead 9-5 and prompt a Pioneers timeout.
- A block by Kaprelyan and Smith gave the Blue Devils their largest lead of the set at seven, 13-6.
- Facing set point at 14-7, SHU got a block by Nelis and McNamee to make the score 14-8. After a Blue Devils error made the score 14-9, Nelis and Ridgway got a block to make the score 14-10. SHU then fought off two more match points with a Nelis kill and Madi Pope ace to cut the deficit to two, 14-12. A service error gave CCSU the set 15-12 and the match 3-2.
CCSU hit .196 in the match, with SHU hitting .131. The Blue Devils had 23 blocks as the Pioneers mustered only 10. Quirarte and Kaprelyan each had 11 kills to lead CCSU. Smith had 10 kills and a match-high 13 blocks.
The Pioneers continue their current homestand on Saturday, Oct. 7 against Bryant. First serve is at 6 p.m.