LORETTO, Pa. – The Sacred Heart women's volleyball team lost its second straight match of the weekend Saturday, falling 3-0 (25-17, 25-15, 25-22) at Saint Francis U.
First Set: Saint Francis U 25-17
- Saint Francis U (8-8, 2-1) opened the set on a 4-1 run, capped by an ace from Kelsey Roush.
- SHU cut the deficit to two, 10-8, on consecutive kills by Nelis.
- The Red Flash used a 4-1 run to go up by five, 14-9, on a Sophia Esposito kill.
- Saint Francis U took a six-point lead at 20-14 on a SHU error. A Roush ace gave the Red Flash the first set 25-17.
Second Set: Saint Francis U 25-15
- After falling behind 4-0, the Pioneers got three Makayla Dole kills to cut the deficit to one at 7-6.
- Saint Francis U used a 10-1 run to take a 19-8 lead.
- SHU got as close as seven, 21-14.
- The Pioneers were held to -.022 in the set after hitting .241 in the first.
Third Set: Saint Francis U 25-22
- The Red Flash used an early 5-1 run to take a 10-4 lead.
- A kill by Nelis, followed by a block by Nelis, Dole, and Gianna Scioletti, got the Pioneers back within five at 12-7.
- Saint Francis U had match point at 24-19, but the Pioneers fought off three match points with kills from Nelis and Dole as well as a Nelis ace to make the score 24-22. A Pioneers error gave the Red Flash the set 25-22 and the match 3-0.
Saint Francis U hit .241 for the match, holding SHU to .091. The Red Flash had nine blocks to the Pioneers' 4.5. Emily Marcinowski led the Red Flash with 12 kills. Libero Jenna Veres had a match-high 22 digs.
The Pioneers return home for a pair of NEC matches next weekend. SHU hosts Central Connecticut State on Friday, Oct. 6 at 6 p.m. in the Pitt Center.