FAIRFIELD, Conn.— The Sacred Heart women's volleyball team opened Northeast Conference action with a 3-1 (21-25, 25-23, 25-21, 25-14) victory over the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights on Friday night.
Liisel Nelis led the Pioneers with 17 kills, adding 11 digs. Makayla Dole and Gianna Scioletti added 15 and 14 kills respectively. Julia Murawinski hit .300 with 13 kills and recorded team high three blocks. Kiki Robinson recorded 52 assists and Madi Pope 29 digs.
First Set: FDU 25, SHU 21.
- The Pioneers controlled much of the first set, but the Knights were able to stay within three before hitting a tie at 14-14.
- The back-and-forth action continued before FDU went on a three-point run to go up 21-18. Kills by Dole and Scioletti brought the score to within one point (22-21).
- FDU closed the set by capitalizing on three attack errors by the Pioneers.
Second Set: SHU 25-23
- The momentum continued for the Knights to begin the second set with a 14-6 lead.
- SHU picked up kills by Rianna McNamee, Murawinski and Lila Palmer to cut the deficit to four points.
- After a service error broke up the Pioneers rally, SHU picked up a big Kill by Murawinski from the assist by McNamee to fend off FDU. The Pioneers tied it up at 15-15 on a kill by Dole and two attack errors by the Knights.
- Both teams continued to trade runs before FDU jumped to a 23-21 lead. But SHU didn't falter in front of the home crowd as Scioletti earned a kill to get serve back to the Pioneers.
- A pair of Nelis kills and another from McNamee allowed SHU to finish strong for the set win.
Third set: SHU 25-21
- Palmer's service rotation got gave the Pioneers an 11-7 lead after being gridlocked to start the set. But the Knights battled back to tie it at 14 all.
- The Pioneers then went on a four-point run as Palmer picked up a kill followed by two attack errors and an ace by Pope for the 18-14 lead.
- FDU got within one at 19-18 before SHU rattled off five straight points to get within match point. Three attack errors by the Pioneers brought FDU back to 24-21, but an attack error by the Knights gave SHU the set.
- The Knights and Pioneers battled for in the opening of the fourth set with SHU eventually holding a 11-10 edge over FDU.
- With a 16-12 lead, SHU went on a six-point swing with Dole picking up three straight kills as SHU led 22-12.
- Nelis added two kills to get the Pioneers within set point. The game was sealed on an attack error by the Knights on a serve by Sydney Slevin.
SHU hit .193 in the match including .517 in the final set, while FDU just hit .096. The Pioneers had 74 digs to the Knights' 67. Taylor Wyckoff led FDU with 11 kills.
The Pioneers will travel to Robert Morris on Friday, September 29 for a 7:00 p.m. match.