John Spadafina began his tenure as the head women’s swimming and diving coach at Sacred Heart University on August 20, 2014.
Spadafina began his career in college athletics at Central Connecticut State University where he was a member and team captain of the men’s swimming and diving team.
- The Pioneers have earned CSCAA Team Academic All-America recognition in each semester that Spadafina has served as head coach
- Spadafina became the program's all-time winningest coach with the Pioneers win over Manhattan on January 14, 2017
- He coached the Pioneers to a program-best nine dual meet victories in 2016-17
- Since taking over the program, Spadafina coached swimmers have broken 37 school records, in 14 different events
- Under Spadafina’s tutelage the Pioneers have posted 90 career-best swims and 114 collegiate-best swims
- He led the Pioneers to their first-ever dual meet wins over Fairfield (1/24/16), LIU Brooklyn (10/15/16), Iona (10/22/16), Holy Cross (11/5/16) and Assumption
- The Pioneers tied the program-record for wins in dual meet action during the 2015-16 campaign
- Lauren Somers was named NEC Swimmer of the Week and Rookie of the Week twice during the 2016-17 campaign
- Had Jessica Poole and Nicole Sauve earn NEC Rookie of the Week awards during the 2015-16 season, after Jillian Crosby earned Swimmer of the Week accolades in January 2015
- Spadafina began his career as an assistant coach at his alma mater, CCSU, in 2010 – coaching an NCAA Division I ‘B’ time standard qualifier, 19 NEC Champions and 72 NEC All-Conference selections
- He helped train a European Championship qualifier and Estonian National Record Holder in the 100-meter back
- Over his time coaching at CCSU, Spadafina coached student-athletes set eight school records and seven freshman records
- Spadafina has coached with some of the top club team in the state, with numerous State record holders, YMCA All-America honorees, YMCA Championship, National Age Group top-10 finishers, and Junior and Senior National Qualifiers
- In 2013 Spadafina helped coach the SoNoCo Swim Club to men’s and women’s team titles at the Connecticut Senior Championships
- He was on the staff at New Canaan YMCA in 2009 when the team placed in the top-10 at YMCA National Championships
- Spadafina has represented Connecticut swimming as an Eastern Zone Coach and as a member of the board of directors as Coach Representative from 2010-2012.