John Spadafina began his tenure as the head women’s swimming and diving coach at Sacred Heart University on August 20, 2014.
Spadafina began his career in college athletics at Central Connecticut State University where he was a member and team captain of the men’s swimming and diving team.
- The Pioneers have earned CSCAA Team Academic All-America recognition in each semester that Spadafina has served as head coach
- SHU swimmers have broken 21 school records, in 13 events, during his tenure
- Under Spadafina’s tutelage the Pioneers have posted 56 career-best swims and 65 collegiate-best swims
- He led the Pioneers to their first-ever dual meet win over Fairfield on January 24, 2016 as SHU went on to tie its highest single-season dual meet win total
- Had Jessica Poole and Nicole Sauve earn NEC Rookie of the Week awards during the 2015-16 season, after Jillian Crosby earned Swimmer of the Week accolades in January 2015
- Spadafina began his career as an assistant coach at his alma mater, CCSU, in 2010 – coaching an NCAA Division I ‘B’ time standard qualifier, 19 NEC Champions and 72 NEC All-Conference selections
- He helped train a European Championship qualifier and Estonian National Record Holder in the 100-meter back
- Over his time coaching at CCSU, Spadafina coached student-athletes set eight school records and seven freshman records
- Spadafina has coached with some of the top club team in the state, with numerous State record holders, YMCA All-America honorees, YMCA Championship, National Age Group top-10 finishers, and Junior and Senior National Qualifiers
- In 2013 Spadafina helped coach the SoNoCo Swim Club to men’s and women’s team titles at the Connecticut Senior Championships
- He was on the staff at New Canaan YMCA in 2009 when the team placed in the top-10 at YMCA National Championships
- Spadafina has represented Connecticut swimming as an Eastern Zone Coach and as a member of the board of directors as Coach Representative from 2010-2012.