LORETTO, Pa.— The Sacred Heart University Softball team used timely two-out hitting to earn the 7-2 win over CCSU in the opening round of the 2018 Northeast Conference Softball tournament.
After an hour and 51-minute rain delay to interrupt the first inning, the Pioneers (31-23) picked up six runs to pull ahead of the Blue Devils (19-29) at Red Flash Softball Stadium.
Top of the 2nd inning… With two runners on and two outs, All-NEC First Team honoree Hailey Desrosiers lined a three-run home run over the left-center field wall to get the Pioneers on the board. A single by Stephanie Mangiameli and walk by Kelyn Fillmore extended the inning for SHU. Fallon Bevino stepped in from the cleanup spot and delivered a double to the gap in left-center to solidify the Pioneers lead. An error at second base in the next at bat pushed the 6-0 lead.
Bottom of the 5th inning… The Blue Devils got on the board off the leadoff home run by Gianna Hathaway to bring the score to 6-1.
Bottom of the 7th inning… CCSU recorded its second run of the game as Giuliana recorded a single home run to left field for the final score of 7-2.
- The Pioneers outhit the Blue Devils 8-6 in the game with the top five batters in the lineup contributing a hit.
- Fallon Bevino and Lauren Delgadillo contributed two hits each to pace the offense.
- Desrosiers recorded a home run in back-to-back games, after hitting a three-run home run in her two-home run performance at Mount this past Sunday.
- Emily Orosco struck out eight batters in six and two-third innings for her 14th win of the season.
- SHU's six runs in the opening game is the second highest run output in the four NEC Tournament appearances.
- The Pioneers improve to 3-1 in NEC Tournament opening contests.
The Pioneers matchup with Saint Francis U in the opening game tomorrow morning at 10:00 a.m. The winner advances to Championship Saturday and the loser will meet the winner of game two tomorrow at 4:00 p.m.