FAIRFIELD, Conn. – The Sacred Heart women's soccer team wrapped up its 2017 season Friday afternoon with a 3-1 loss to the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights at Park Avenue Field. The loss knocked the Pioneers out of contention for next weekend's Northeast Conference Tournament.
Fairleigh Dickinson: 7-8-3, 5-1-1 NEC
Sacred Heart: 7-11-0, 4-4-0 NEC
- The Pioneers had a pair of chances in the first five minutes of the half, but Melanie DaSilva and Lindsay Corallo could not get a shot on goal. SHU's first shot came in the seventh minute from Alex Mesropyan.
- FDU took the lead in the 14th minute. Viktorija Miseljic headed in a Jessi Reinhardt cross inside the six-yard box to put the Knights ahead 1-0.
- In the 27th minute, Alyssa Chirichella fired a shot from distance that was stopped by Knights goalkeeper Amanda Fitzgerald.
- The Knights went up 2-0 in the 38th minute as Kristina Neri knocked in the rebound of a Jackson Bennett shot that hit the crossbar.
- SHU's Rebecca Nguyen put a shot over the bar off of a corner kick in the 40th minute.
- Corallo had a header saved by Fitzgerald in the 49th minute. One minute later, Alyssa Hyland put a cross in the box that was snagged by Fitzgerald.
FDU outshot Sacred Heart 16-8, as each team had six corner kicks. Fitzgerald made three saves for the Knights as Nicole Sambuco had four stops for the Pioneers.