Emmitsburg, MD-- The Sacred Heart women's soccer team earned a spot in the Northeast Confrence postseason with their 3-1 victory over Mount St. Mary's on Friday afternoon. The Pioneers (8-5-4, 5-1-1 NEC) now sit at 5-1-1 in Northeast Conference play, and push their current win streak to three straight games.
The Pioneers controlled the game from the start, outshooting the Mountaineers (4-12-1, 0-7 NEC) eight to one in the first half. Sophomore Lindsay Corallo broke the game open on a cross from senior Emily Dawidczyk in the 17th minute. Sacred Heart netted their second tally as freshman Caitlyn Buckley collected a deflection off a Mount player in the 38th minute to take the 2-0 lead to halftime. Buckley now is tied for team lead with three goals on the season. Sophomore Maranda Gibbons recorded her second tally of the season on a lead pass from classmate Alex Mesropyan for the third Pioneers goal. Mount St. Mary's would add a goal in the 72nd minute on a header from Kristen Morawski to bring the final 3-1.
Sacred Heart returns home for the regular season finale against Bryant on Sunday October 30. Senior Day ceremony will take place prior to the start of the game.
- Mesropyan started SHU off early with a shot 11 seconds into the game, Mountaineers keeper Maddy Bunnell with the save.
- Corallo got the Pioneers on the board with a goal on a cross by Dawidczyk in the 17th minute.
- Buckley netted her third tally of the season on a deflection off defensive player in the 38th minute.
- Mesropyan set up Gibbons with a through pass for the final Pioneers tally.
- Nicole Sambuco recorded her lone save of the game in the 60th minute.
- Morawski got Mount St. Mary's on the board with her header in the 72nd minute.
- Dawidczyk had two shots get knocked down by Bunnell in the 76th minute.