BROOKLYN, N.Y.— The Sacred Heart women's soccer team picked up the 1-0 victory over LIU Brooklyn on Sunday afternoon. The Pioneers (7-5-4, 4-1-1 NEC) grabbed their first Northeast conference road win on the year and complete a big weekend sweep.
Sacred Heart controlled much of the contest, outshooting the Blackbirds 17-9 and 7-2 on corner kicks. Sophomore Nicole Sambuco recorded her eighth shutout of the season with five saves on the day. The game winning goal came in the 85th minute as sophomore Melanie DaSilva sent a cross to senior Emily Dawidczyk, who booted it past LIU Brooklyn goalkeeper Aline Allmann from six yards out. Dawidczyk has now scored in back-to-back games for the Pioneers. DaSilva led Sacred Heart offense with four shots on goal.
The Pioneers have two NEC regular season games left, they will head to Mount St. Mary's Friday October 28 at 4:00pm.
- Olivia Crema has the Pioneers first shot of the game in the first minute but it is saved by Erin Harbison.
- Harbison made another big stop on Melanie DaSilva's shot in the 29th minute
- Sambuco picked up her first save on a shot by Brooke Logel in the 31st minute
- Aline Allmann grabbed a save in the 47th minute on Alyssa Hyland's shot, as LIU changed goalkeepers at the half
- Sacred Heart fired three shots in the 61st minute
- Alex Mesropyan took a free kick from just outside the box but it was saved by Allmann
- DaSilva found Dawidczyk on the cross for the game winning goal in the 85th minute
- Sambuco secured the game as she saved a shot by Asha Mohiddin in the 86th minute