FAIRFIELD, Conn.— Freshman Caitlyn Buckley answered with the game winning goal in double overtime to give the Sacred Heart women's soccer team the 3-2 win over Saint Francis U on Friday night. The Pioneers (6-5-4, 3-1-1 NEC) picked up three pivotal points in the Northeast Conference women's soccer standings.
Sacred Heart out shot the Red Flash (5-11, 3-2 NEC) 21-18 in the game. Saint Francis got on the board first in the 21st minute on a give and go goal by Gabi Morales from Leah Hardin. Sophomore Maranda Gibbons answered for the Pioneers with her first career goal in the 37th minute. Gibbons played the pass by Olivia Crema, dribbled and shot it past Red Flash keeper Julia Hernan to tie it up 1-1.
The Pioneers would answer again in the 61st minute as senior Emily Dawidczyk took the pass from Lindsay Corallo from eight yards out through the right side. But the Red Flash would respond only sixteen seconds later as they drew a foul in the box, setting up Morales to get the penalty kick to tie it at 2-2. The Pioneers offense continued to attack into extra time, outshooting Saint Francis 7-4. Buckley would get the game winner in the 108th minute off the bounce from a save off Hernan from 12 yards out.
Sacred Heart will hit the road to take on LIU Brooklyn on Sunday, October 23 at 1:00pm.
- Sambuco knocked down a laser of a shot by Morales in the fifth minute
- Hernan made a great save on a shot by Corallo in the 15th minute
- Morales picked up the Red Flash goal on a give and go pass from Hardin
- Gibbons answered for the Pioneers with her first career goal
- Dawidczyk netted her second goal of the season on a pass from Corallo in the 61st minute
- Morales hit a penalty shot only 16 seconds later
- Header by Melanie DaSilva got stopped by Hernan in the 80th minute
- Alex Mesropyan attempted a shot in the 92nd minute but Hernan punched it away on a diving stop
- Alyssa McGhee shot missed wide in the 97th minute for the Red Flash
- Dawidczyk as breakaway opportunity in the 104th minute stopped by Hernan