The Sacred Heart University fell 41-36 to visiting NIRA foe Bowdoin College Saturday afternoon on Park Avenue Field. The loss drops the Pioneers to 2-1 on the year, while the Polar Bears improve to 2-0.
Isabel Cuddy had four tries for the Pioneers, to go along with a game-high six runs of 20. Tyffany Brisbane also had a try for the Pioneers. SHU earned 14 lineouts and four scrum possessions, while Bowdoin had seven scrum possessions and four lineouts.
The Pioneers return to action on September 30 when they travel to the University of New England for a 6 p.m. match.
- SHU outscored Bowdoin 24-12 in the second-half, closing to within one score twice in the final minutes of the game
- SHU had 10 lineouts in the opening half of play
- Cuddy tallied 20 points for SHU on the afternoon
- Seven different Polar Bears converted tries in the match
- SHU played at a 15-12 disadvantage in the first-half and a 13-12 disadvantage in the second-half
- Kaylee Hale converted two kicks for the Pioneers
- Liz D'Angelo had two kick conversions for Bowdoin
- Bowdoin opened the scoring 11:02 into the game when Hanna Zuklie reached the try zone
- Cuddy scored the next two tries 3:08 apart to put the Pioneers in front 12-5
- The Polar Bears scored the final four tries of the first-half, with two converted kicks, to take a 29-12 lead at the break
- Brisbane opened the second-half scoring for the Pioneers to close within 10, 29-19
- Satya Kent scored at 22:50 for Bowdoin to push the advantage back to 17, 36-19
- Again Cuddy rallied the Pioneers, scoring at 14:57 and 6:38 as SHU climbed back within a score, 36-29
- Maddie Squibb gave Bowdoin an insurance try at the 3:51 mark, but the kick failed for a 41-29 advantage
- Cuddy's sixth run of 20 resulted in the Pioneers final points, when a high tackle earned SHU seven points for a penalty try