Pioneers Beat Monmouth Hawk, 5-4, in Overtime

Pioneers Beat Monmouth Hawk, 5-4, in Overtime

April 11, 2009

Final Stats

WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. (April 11, 2009) - Sacred Heart senior Mary Montesarchio (Cortlandt Manor, NY) buried the game-winner 22 seconds into the third overtime session to deliver the Pioneers a 5-4 win over the Monmouth Hawks in Northeast Conference action Saturday afternoon. Junior Chelsea Wagner (Aurora, CO) made 13 saves, two coming in the final minutes of regulation to preserve a 4-4 tie and send it to the extra sessions.

The game went scoreless for over 10 minutes at the start before Sacred Heart (8-6, 5-1 NEC) got on the board first as Amanda Williams (Monroe, CT) scored on a free position attempt with 19:33 on the clock on a rain soaked day. Montesarchio answered Williams five minutes later, scoring off a feed from the fellow senior. Monmouth's Rachel Feirstein cut the deficit in half when she scored the Hawks first goal off a free position with 2:53 left in the first half and the game stayed locked a 2-1 SHU into the locker room.

Sacred Heart took a 3-1 lead early in the second half as junior Carissa Hauser (East Northport, NY) buried a feed from Williams. Monmouth was able to hold SHU off the scoreboard for the nearly 16 minutes and took full advantage, running off three-straight to pull in front 4-3 with just over five minutes to play.

MU's (6-8, 4-2 NEC) Molly O'Brien started the rally with a marker at 18:45 left in the match. Megan Brennan found Perry DeWitt for the game-tying goal with 9:47 left in regulation and the Hawks took their first lead of the with 5:19 left when O'Brien centered a pass to Carissa Franzi who beat the keeper for the 4-3 lead.

Williams broke the Pioneers scoring drought less then a minute later, scoring unassisted to knot the game at 4-4. With 1:17 left in regulation, Megan Brennan got behind the defense and had a one-on-one breakaway with Wagner, who made the save. The Hawks got possession back and Brennan was fouled with 9.5 seconds left, giving her a free position chance. Wagner again came up with a big save, stopping Brennan in front of the cage to send the game to overtime.

The Hawks had a solid opportunity with just eight seconds left in the second overtime as DeWitt was fouled but her free position opportunity skipped off the crossbar and went out of bounds, keeping the match deadlocked at 4-4. The start of the third overtime saw the Pioneers strike quickly as Hauser took the opening draw with Williams finding Montesarchio for the game-winner just 22 ticks in.

Wagner made 13 saves, including eight in the second half and overtime periods. The Pioneers defense was led by Mary LaGrassa (Massapequa, NY), who had three ground balls and three caused turnovers. Hauser had five draw controls in the win.

The Pioneers are back in action on Friday, April 17th when they head to New Britain, CT to take on the Central Connecticut Blue Devils.