The Sacred Heart University women's lacrosse team dropped a 16-11 decision to visiting Northeast Conference foe Wagner College, Sunday afternoon. The loss drops the Pioneers to 2-12 overall and 2-3 in league play, while Wagner improves to 10-4 overall and 5-0 in NEC action.
Pioneers senior Alyssa Pearce scored five goals on the afternoon, and surpassed 100 goals for her career in the process. The 100th career goal came at the 12:13 mark, netting pass from behind the net from Sydney Ericson.
SHU closes out the regular season with a pair of road games, travelling to Robert Morris on Friday and Saint Francis U on Sunday.
How It Happened
- SHU extended a 7-5 halftime lead to 9-6 on a Cassie Cesario goal at the 24:29 mark of the second-half.
- Wagner scored four unanswered goals in a 2:26 span to take a 10-9 lead with 21:11 to play in regulation
- The Seahawks would score 10 of 11 goals after falling behind 9-6, building their largest lead of the game, 16-11 with 2:20 to play
- Pearce led the Pioneers with five goals in her final home game
- Averi Farhat, also playing her final career home game, handed out a game-best three assists and finished with five points
- Lauren Ednie tallied five goals and two assists for Wagner
- Wagner finished 20-29 on draw controls
- Paige Hammick made 13 saves in net for the Pioneers
- Kelsey Fee earned the win off the bench, stopping five shots in her 38:04 of action
- The Pioneers held an 8-6 ground ball edge in the first period, before Wagner finished with a 14-11 advantage