FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Led by a career-high eight points from Alyssa Pearce, the Sacred Heart women's lacrosse team closed its home slate with a 12-8 win over the LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds at Campus Field.
Pearce led all players with four goals and four assists. Liana Doyle had three points on two goals and an assist. Jesslyn Joseph and Jenna Liljeberg both had a goal and an assist. Paige Hammick had eight saves in goal. Caitlin Delaney had four draw controls and two caused turnovers.
Sacred Heart (7-6, 3-2 NEC) jumped out of the gates scoring the first six goals in 11:27. Doyle, Kylie Calandra, and Averi Farhat, scored the final three goals of that run in 0:40 to make the score 6-0 with 18:33 to play. LIU Brooklyn (4-11, 0-5 NEC) responded with a 4-1 run to get within three, 7-4, with 5:21 to play in the half. The Pioneers took an 8-4 lead at halftime as Danielle Pini scored from right in front of the crease with an assist from Pearce.
The Pioneers took their largest lead of the game with 22:57 remaining in the second half on Pearce's second goal of the game. The Blackbirds then got goals from Kathryn Harvey and Jenn Peters to cut the deficit to two, 9-7, with 9:56 remaining. Joseph and Pearce went on a three-goal run of their own to get SHU back up by five, 12-7, with 5:01 to play.
SHU outshot LIU Brooklyn 31-20 in the game and held a 14-12 edge in groundballs. The Pioneers also had 14 draw controls to the Blackbirds' eight. Peters led LIU Brooklyn with four goals.
The Pioneers close the regular season next weekend on the road, beginning on Friday, April 29 with a 3 p.m. game at Central Connecticut.
- The Pioneers scored first for the sixth straight game. Caitlin Delaney scored her 30th goal of the season at the 25:50 mark.
- SHU's first six goals were scored by six different players – Delaney, Liljeberg, Pearce, Calandra, Farhat, and Doyle.
- LIU got on the board at the 16:56 mark.
- SHU outshot LIU Brooklyn 16-10 in the first half.
- SHU put the game away with a 3-0 run over 3:36 late in the second half.