The Sacred Heart University field hockey team earned its second consecutive MAAC win, defeating host Bryant 2-1 in Providence, R.I. Sunday afternoon. The Pioneers improve to 6-9 overall and 2-1 in league action, while the Bulldogs fall to 3-13 on the season and 1-2 in MAAC action.
Bryant scored first, taking a 1-0 lead with a tally at the 13:04 mark. The Pioneers tallied the equalizer 16 minutes later and the teams went to the break tied 1-1. SHU wasted little time in the second-half, putting home the game-winner 2:30 into the final period.
SHU plays its final road game of the regular season on Friday, when it travels to MAAC foe Rider for a 7 p.m. match.
- Freya Ward gave Bryant an early lead, tipping in a ball from the stick of Floor van Dommelen
- Nichole Tolli drew the Pioneers event at 29:21 with a goal off of a corner, with assists to Allie Brouhard and Marlena Koellner
- Koellner scored the game-winner 2:30 into the second-half, with assists from Brouhard and Colleen McAninley
- Hailey Power improved to 4-4 on the year, making three saves in net for SHU
- SHU finished with a 16-4 advantage in shots, including a 10-2 edge in controlling the second-half
- The Pioneers posted six of their nine penalty corners in the opening half, and finished with a 9-4 edge in the category
- Lyndsay Swanston made five saves and allowed two goals