The Sacred Heart University field hockey team fell 3-2 in overtime at Temple on Sunday afternoon.
SHU struck first with the only tally of the opening half, and extended the lead to 2-0 in the 44th minute. Temple started its comeback second s later and tied the game at 62:02. Temple netted the game winner 4:32 into the overtime period.
SHU is back in action on September 29 at Monmouth. That 4:00 pm match will air live on ESPN3.
- Nichole Tolli scored the first goal of the game on a penalty stroke at 33:11
- Bridget LaRiccia gave SHU a 2-0 edge at 43:04 when she touched home a Marlena Koellner pass
- Temple began its comeback :34 later with Maddie Merton goal
- Becky Gerhart's first goal of the year at 62:02 tied the game and forced the extra period
- Racheal Mueller won the game 4:32 into overtime with an assist from Kathryn Edgar
- Temple outshot SHU 13-12, with both squads taking a shot in overtime and five in the first-half
- Hailey Power made four saves in her 47:26 of action and allowed one goal
- Emily Degennaro made a save against two goals in 27:06 of action
- Chloe Johnson made three saves in the 29:54 of the match to earn the win for Temple
- Temple had a 7-5 edge in penalty corners, scoring in two of them