The Sacred Heart University field hockey team improved to 3-5 on the year with a 4-1 win over visiting Towson Friday night on Johnson Field. The loss dropped the Tigers to 0-9 on the season.
SHU received goals from four different players on the evening, with three assists. SHU outshot Towson 17-3 in the game, not allowing a shot in the first-half of play. SHU also had a 15-5 edge in penalty corners.
The Pioneers travel to Temple on Sunday for a 1 p.m. non conference game.
- Allie Brouhard tallied the Pioneers first goal, 4:56 into the game, as she collected a rebound and knocked it home
- Kelsy Hopkins gave SHU the 2-0 lead at the 19:14 mark, striking a ball into the side of the net after Nichole Tolli fed the ball into the center of the circle
- The Pioneers third tally came at 54:17 as Lauren Lawson netted passes from Christina Gotthold and Marlena Koellner following a penalty corner
- Towson netted its goal 121 seconds later on a short corner from Paige Zaleppa
- Bridget LaRiccia corralled a rebound at 59:02 to round out the scoring.
- Hailey Power started and earned the win for SHU, not facing a shot in her 35:00 of action
- Emily Degennaro recorded one save in net in the second-half
- Emilee Woodall made nine saves, seven in the first-half
- The Pioneers last scored four goals in a game on September 13, 2013 in a 4-3 overtime win over LaSalle