NEW HAVEN, CONN. (October 28, 2016)—The Sacred Heart field hockey team concluded the 2016 season with a 3-0 loss to Monmouth, who clinched the MAAC Regular Season Championship last Sunday, at Johnson Field Friday evening. The Pioneers finish the 2016 campaign 1-15 and 1-5 in conference play.
- Monmouth was awarded a penalty corner in the fourth minute, but Emily Degennaro (Wading River, N.Y.) stopped both shots the Hawks fired off on the possession
- The Pioneers stopped six more Monmouth shots before Meg Donahue put the Hawks on the board in the 17th minute. Getting the ball at the top of the circle, the junior drove the ball straight at the goal pushing it in the left side from just a few feet in front
- In the first half, SHU was outshot 9-0 by Monmouth
- Again, Monmouth earned a corner less than four minutes into the half. This time, however, the Hawks expanded their lead as Julie Laszlo received the corner pass and went right with it to Casey Hanna for MU's second goal
- The Pioneers got their first big offensive opportunity of the game in the 56th minute with a penalty corner. Allie Brouhard (Washington, N.J.) passed it in to Nichole Tolli (Poughquag, N.Y.) at the top of the circle, but the junior saw her shot get blocked
- The Hawks tacked on one more goal in the 58th minute as Alyssa Ercolino passed it in to Laszlo who took a hard shot from the left side that found the back of the goal