NEW HAVEN, CONN. (October 16, 2016)—The Sacred Heart field hockey team saw their second-half comeback cut short Sunday afternoon at Johnson Field. Nichole Tolli (Poughquag, N.Y.) and Danielle Gallagher (Clayon, Del.) both scored late to cut into the Bulldogs' lead, but the Pioneers fell to Bryant 5-2 on Senior Day.
The Pioneers hit the road next weekend, facing crosstown rival Fairfield on Friday evening before heading to Brooklyn to take on the newest member of the MAAC, LIU Brooklyn, on Sunday.
- The Bulldogs wasted no time putting score on the board. Earning a penalty corner in the sixth minutes, Erin Karcher dished it in to Leyna DiMarco who set up Victoria Danby at the top of the circle for her fifth goal of the season
- Bryant maintained possession of the ball in the minutes following its first goal. After another corner, the Bulldogs were granted a penalty stroke in the 18th minute. Keighan Richarson took it for Bryant. The junior aimed high and left to get it passed SHU goalkeeper Emily Degennaro (Wading River, N.Y.), expanding the Bulldogs' lead
- Just four minutes later, Emily Perryman took a swing trying to convert another Bulldog corner. Degennaro stopped it
- The Pioneers came out strong in the second half scoring less than three minutes into the period. Earning a penalty corner in the 38th minute, Tolli accepted the corner and passed right to senior Jackie Delannoy (New Egypt, N.J.), and Delannoy passed it back to Tolli in the middle of the circle. The junior wound up and swung hard scoring SHU's first goal of the game
- Bryant quickly answered with its fourth goal scored by Emily Perryman just two minutes later making it, once again, a three-goal game. The Bulldogs made it 5-1 in the 51st minute as Richardson fed Freya Ward off the corner
- SHU wasn't done however. Fighting back, the Sacred Heart offense came alive again at the end of the game maintaining possession in its offensive zone. In the 60th minute, Gallagher sent a long pass to Kaeleigh Lord (Keene, N.H.) into the right corner of the circle. The freshman took a hard swing towards the goal making an attempt to keep the ball from going out of bounds. She put it high enough just in front of the goal for Gallagher to knock it in for the final goal of the game
- Sacred Heart outshot the Bulldogs 4-2 in the half